Practical Translation: Chinese to English
- Start date
- End date
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- Department of Linguistics
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
The objective of the module is to equip students with skills in translation from Chinese into English. Students will develop intellectual perspectives on the activity of translation and expand topic-based vocabulary. By the end of the module, students will be able to demonstrate ability in handling texts, including literary, fictional, journalistic and biographical prose with confidence.
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 2 hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 1 hour lecture and a 1 hour seminar.
Scope and syllabus
The module is designed for students who already have an advanced knowledge of Chinese language, and who are able to read both simplified and full-form characters. The typology of texts varies from scientific, to technical, administrative, political, literary, cinematographic, advertisements, etc.
It is an integral part of the MA Translation which offers practical dimension to the module. It offers a platform where translation theories can be applied and discussed in light of actual translation practice.
Method of assessment
- a take home translation exercise of a 1000 words to be submitted the term in which the module is taught (20%)
- a take home translation exercise of a 1000 words to be submitted in the term in which the module is taught (20%)
- a translation with commentary exercise of a 3000 words to be submitted in the following term (60%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page
No specific textbooks for the module.
The students will be given and encouraged to visit the following websites where bilingual texts (English and Chinese) are added.
These websites, and others, will provide rich source of texts for the students to practice their translation skills. At the same time, it will be able to equip the students with knowledge of how web-based translation, as well as general media-related translation, operates.