Problems of Development in the Middle East and North Africa
- Start date
- End date
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- Department of Development Studies
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of this module, students should be familiar with the complexity of the MENA region and its many peculiarities and able to:
- Investigate the historical roots of the region’s developmental problems
- Assess the relevance of cultural explanations
- Ponder the relative weight of endogenous and exogenous hindrances to development
- Identify and analyse the region’s major political currents and their attitudes toward development issues
- Evaluate the main problems facing economic growth and social modernisation in the region
- Understand the complexities of the regional upheaval that started unfolding in 2011.
Teaching takes place through a weekly 1 hour lecture and 1 hour tutorial.
Method of assessment
100% coursework. Each student will be expected to submit one essay worth 70% of the final grade and a book review worth 30% of the final grade. Resubmission of coursework regulations apply.