- Module not running
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
1. knowledge and understanding of intermediate Somali grammar
2. knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Somali vocabulary
3. knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Somali structures and expressions in a given context
4. the ability to understand passages in written Somali of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
5. the ability to produce passages in written Somali of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
6. the ability to understand spoken Somali and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
The aim of this module is to introduce students to a range of Somali language materials. Their knowledge of the language will thereby be enhanced enabling them to understand and use the language in a grater variety and complexity of communicative situations such as listening to radio news broadcasts, reading newspapers, reading extracts from prose literature and discussing these in conversation. Details of aspects of the grammar such as the use of co-ordinating particles, nominal suffixes etc. will also be investigated providing the student with the skills to learn more about the language themselves by asking Somali speakers as well as referring to more advanced grammar texts
Method of assessment
One three-hour written examination (80%) and oral exam (20%) taken in May/June.