Swahili 1 B (PG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
Kiswahili / كِسوَهِل
This is a language acquisition module for students who have already studied the Language A equivalent in the previous term, or who have equivalent knowledge. Students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script.
This module develops knowledge of several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to develop their skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write simple texts, and communicate on everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Successful completion of Swahili 1A (PG) - 15PAFH029 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of basic grammar
- Gain knowledge and understanding of essential vocabulary
- Gain knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context
- Demonstrate the ability to understand sentences and short passages in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in written language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to produce sentences in spoken language on certain everyday topics
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences on certain everyday topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- One mid term test (40 minutes) taken in term 2, (20%)
- One oral examination (15 minutes) taken in May/June (20%)
- One two-hour written examination taken in May/June (60%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page
Core texts are all held in library, students will be informed of any necessary text books in introductory materials.