- Start date
- End date
- Term 1
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
- Department of Linguistics
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- a good knowledge of key concepts, issues and theories of translation
- a good ability of effective application of translation principles and strategies
- knowledge of translation profession
A total of 10 weeks with 2 hours of classroom contact per week.
Scope and syllabus
This is a core module of the MA in Translation. It covers the theoretical aspect of the programme by teaching the major concepts, issues and theories of translation.
The module will also assist students making the connection between translation theories and practice to ensure effective use of the theories learned in the module
Method of assessment
- One 1,000-word Essay (30%)
- One 2,000-word Essay (70%)
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page
- Baker, M. (1992). In other words – A coursebook on translation. London: Routledge.
- Baker, M. (ed.) (1998). The Routledge Encyclopaedia of Translation Studies. London: Routledge.
- Bassnett, S. (2002). Translation Studies. London: Routledge.
- Hatim, Basil & Ian Mason. (1997). The translator as communicator. London ; New York : Routledge.
- Newmark, P. (1986). Approaches to translation. Pergamon Press.
- Newmark, P. (1998). More paragraphs on translation. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters.
- Newmark, P. (2005). A textbook of translation. London: Longman.
- Nida, E. A. (1969). Science of translation. Language, 45(3), 483-498.
- Nida, E.A. (1993). Language, culture, and translating. Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Language Education Press.
- Nida, E. A. (2003). The theory and practice of translation. Brill: Brill Academic Publishers.
- Nord, C. (1997). Translating as a Purposeful Activity: Functionalist Approaches Explained. Manchester: St. Jerome.
- Snell-Hornby, M., F. Pöchhacker & K. Kaindl (eds) (1994). Translation Studies: An Integrated Approach . Amsterdam: Benjamins.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules.