Turkish 2 B (UG)
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
The course provides students with intermediate knowledge of Turkish and practice of using Turkish in a variety of everyday and more specialised situations, including the understanding and expression of opinions and different points of view. Texts for study are selected from newspapers and magazines, scholarly articles and literary works (short stories and excerpts from novels).
The course prepares students to interact with Turkish speakers in Turkish and to use original Turkish language sources within the level covered in the course. This provides students with a basis to use primary sources in Turkish to research various aspects of Turkish language, history and culture.
Turkish 2A -155906719 or equivalent
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate:
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Turkish grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Turkish vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Turkish structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand and to produce passages written in Turkish of medium length on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to understand spoken Turkish and to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday and some specialized topics
- the ability to translate from and to Turkish of medium length with use of appropriate language on everyday and some specialized topics
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week
Scope and syllabus
- Reading: The finer points of grammar and idiomatic usage are studied through close reading of a variety of texts. Texts will be selected from newspapers and magazines, literary works and scholarly articles. The choice of topics will partly depend on the interests of the students, but an effort shall be made to cover as many different fields as possible (culture, current social issues, economics etc.).
- Writing: This skill is reinforced through the regular writing of compositions and translations.
- Oral-Aural: Conversational skills are developed with the help of interactive role play and audio-visual materials. Basic interpreting skills are also practiced. Videos from Turkish television will be used to enhance listening comprehension of both formal and colloquial Turkish.
Method of assessment
- 1x 1hr Mid Term Test (20%)
- 1x (15 min) In class presentation (20%)
- 1x 2hr Unseen Written Exam Paper (60%)