- Module not running
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
Continues the learning of the language begun in Yoruba 1A and Yoruba 1B , but more emphasis is now placed on additional analysis and description of Yoruba with particular reference to major structures such as the progressive marker, habitual marker, marker of completion, the numerals up to 100, the telling of the time, and basic letter writing. Practical assignments will involve comprehension and English- Yoruba translation. Students are also introduced to Yoruba writings in prose, poetry and drama.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
At the end of the module, a student should be able to demonstrate…
- knowledge and understanding of intermediate Yoruba grammar
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of Yoruba vocabulary
- knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of a wide range of Yoruba structures and expressions in a given context
- the ability to understand passages in written Yoruba of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to produce passages in written Yoruba of medium length on everyday and some specialised topics
- the ability to understand spoken Yoruba and to engage in spoken discourse of medium complexity on everyday and some specialised topics
Total of 22 weeks teaching with 3 hours classroom contact per week consisting of a 1 hour lecture, 1 hour tutorial and 1 hour language class.
Method of assessment
- 20% - End-of-term assignment
- 30% - Mid-term oral presentation
- 20% - Practical skill oral assessment
- 30% - End-of-term test
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page.
The reading list will be made available from the convenor at the beginning of the module.
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules