Zulu 1 B
- Start date
- End date
- Year of study
- Term 2
- Module code
- FHEQ Level
This is a basic language acquisition module for students who have already studied the Language A equivalent in the previous term, or who have equivalent knowledge. Students are therefore assumed to have some basic knowledge of the language or its script. This module develops knowledge of some of the several basic constructions of the language, enabling students to develop their skills in reading, writing, comprehension and speaking. Successful students will gain the ability to read and write simple texts, and communicate on everyday topics. Emphasis will be placed on good pronunciation and on the social and linguistic conventions of everyday conversation.
Students enrolling onto this module should have taken Zulu 1A - 155906042 in term 1
Successful completion of Zulu 1A - 155906042 or equivalent knowledge.
Objectives and learning outcomes of the module
On successful completion of this module a student will:
- Gain knowledge and understanding of commonly used grammar.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of vocabulary related to a range of everyday topics.
- Gain greater knowledge and understanding of the appropriateness of basic structures and expressions in a given context.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce short passages in written language on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to understand spoken sentences and short passages on everyday topics.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in short spoken discourse on everyday topics.
Total of 10 weeks teaching with 4 hours classroom contact per week in language classes.
Method of assessment
- 30% - Mid-term oral presentation
- 30% - Practical skill oral assessment
- 40% - End-of-term test
- The exact assessment deadline dates are published on the relevant module Moodle/BLE page
Important notice regarding changes to programmes and modules