Annual Philippine Studies Conference 2018
Date: 13 July 2018Time: 9:00 AM
Finishes: 14 July 2018Time: 8:00 PM
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings Room: KLT and Foyer
Type of Event: Conference
Representing the Philippine Cordillera
The Annual Philippine Studies Conference at SOAS, with this year’s focus on the Cordillera, seeks to gather academics, artists and community groups in a 2-day Conference. The event will seek to showcase the cultural treasures of the region and cultivate an understanding of and respect for the identity and culture of its indigenous peoples.
The Conference is an interdisciplinary and intercultural event that will explore the mountainous region of the Cordillera in northern Luzon with its seven major ethnolinguistic groups - Bontok, Ibaloy, Ifugao, Isneg, Kankanaey, Kalinga and Tingguian.
This conference is interested in the ways in which cultural texts, material culture and transnational experiences represent and mediate the Cordillera. How is the region and its peoples represented in film, photography, music, literature, the visual arts, performance, and other cultural texts? How have Igorot community-based organizations in the diaspora sought to construct an understanding of its people’s sense of selfhood and belonging? How have these contributed to an approximation of an evolving Filipino national culture and a South East Asian identity?
Call for abstracts (now closed)
- Postcolonial readings of history and ethnography of the Cordillera.
- Decolonizing approaches to the social and historical treatment of the Igorot in Philippine Contemporary Art and Literature.
- Cultural critiques of commodification and appropriation of material culture.
- Material and Cultural practices that contribute to an understanding of the Cordillera as a living cultural landscape.
- The politics of representation and issues of power in the construction of the Igorot identity.
- Intersections of ritual and religion in the cultural practices of the Igorot.
- The roles of technology and social media in transnational identity construction, digital repatriation.
- Inter-regional studies of the Cordillera and the concept of the indigenous in South east Asia.
Proposals for presentations should include a title, an abstract (max. 300 words), institutional affiliation, a bio sketch (max. 100 words), and contact information.
Call for exhibitions (now closed)
Are you a filmmaker, writer, photographer, performer, or visual artist with work on the Cordillera? Please send us a sample or preview of your work with a 300-word description and a bio sketch (max. 100 words) if you are interested in sharing your work at the conference. There will also be exhibit stalls available for book launchings, displays, and workshops.
Deadline for submissions/Guest registrations
Abstract submission deadline has passed and we have sent out notifications of accepted proposals.
If you wish to attend the Conference has a guest, please register your intent here. There are no registration fees.
The conference programme can now be accessed here.
Organiser: SOAS Centre of South East Asian Studies, Philippine Studies at SOAS
Contact email: phconference2018SOAS@gmail.com