The Centre for the Study of Pakistan's purposes are to:
- promote research and teaching in the study of Pakistan, both contemporary and historical, across a range of disciplines at SOAS
- bring together and publicise the range of work on Pakistan underway at SOAS, to build synergies between staff working on Pakistan and to encourage and facilitate fund raising for such initiatives
- work towards developing an interdisciplinary MA programme in the Study of Contemporary Pakistan the school
- foster and facilitate links between SOAS and other individuals and institutions in the UK and abroad who are engaged in academic study of Pakistan across various disciplines
- develop outreach programmes to disseminate knowledge of Pakistan to a wider public through a variety of events including workshops, conferences, exhibitions, film and performance arts
- promote understanding of Pakistan in all its aspects to involve Pakistan communities and diasporic groups and to organise joint events, as and when appropriate.