Feminist Activism in China: In Conversation with Li Maizi
THIS EVENT IS ARCHIVED
Li Maizi, Professor Harriet Evans, Dr. Ros Holmes, Tricia Kehoe, Dr. Monica Merlin, Xu Juan
Date: 7 March 2017Time: 6:15 PM
Finishes: 7 March 2017Time: 8:15 PM
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings Room: Khalili Lecture Theatre
Type of Event: Seminar
Marking two years since her arrest by Chinese authorities, activist Li Maizi (aka Li Tingting) of China’s 'Feminist Five' is joined at SOAS by a panel of experts to share her activism experience; together they will discuss the current state and future of feminism in mainland China, as well as its intersections with history, gender politics, ethnicity and art.
Unprecedented in the UK, this is a chance to hear from one of the PRC’s leading activists and one of the most inspirational figures in global feminist and LGBTQIA+ networks.
Guest speakers include:
- Harriet Evans (Professor of Chinese Cultural Studies, University of Westminster)
- Ros Holmes (Junior Research Fellow, University of Oxford)
- Tricia Kehoe (PhD Candidate, University of Nottingham)
- Monica Merlin (Lecturer, Christie’s Education, University of Glasgow)
- Xu Juan (Curator of feminist art collective Bald Girls)
Register for this free event at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/feminist-activism- in-china-tickets-31884522465