SOAS University of London

Doctoral School

Student Visa research students

Attendance requirements

Postgraduate research students are expected to remain engaged in their research studies for the duration of their programme. Recording details of engagement provides a valuable reflective resource for research students, evidence for research funders of progress and proof for regulatory bodies of research activity. Postgraduate research students will be expected to be evidence their continued engagement and:

  • they will be required to record all details of engagement on PhD Manager
  • they will ensure that they inform their supervisor of any travel plans and request appropriate support if required.

Supervision records form a key part of the learning experience for all postgraduate research students and it is important that these are kept up to date and maintained throughout the course of your studies.

Visa options for research students

Student visa options for students nearing the end of their PhD registration

Students who are sponsored for a Student visa by SOAS will normally be sponsored until 6 months after their submission deadline. We expect students to be granted four additional months additional leave by the Home Office after this deadline. If you have not been granted this additional leave please contact our Student Adviser (Immigration and Finance) for advice by emailing

The School can sponsor students for an additional period in the following scenarios. Students will need to make the relevant CAS and visa applications and pay visa fees and associated costs.

Under Examination Status

Students who submit on or before their submission deadline can apply for a CAS using the CAS request form for a six month period from the date of submission to allow for the examination procedures to be completed.

This is only available for students who are remaining in the UK and preparing for examination while based at SOAS in London for the period leading up to the examination.

Doctorate Extension Scheme

PhD students have the opportunity to remain in the UK for an additional year following award of the PhD in order to work. Any type of employment is permitted under the scheme except working as a professional sports person/coach or a doctor or dentist in training. Please see the UKCISA working after your studies web page for more details.

The Doctorate Extension Scheme is available to students with current Student visa leave (sponsored by SOAS) and currently residing in the UK.

Please be aware that there is a very tight time schedule when making an application to the scheme.

Students must apply using the Doctorate Extension Scheme CAS Application Form at the same time as they submit their final hard copy and e-thesis following examination. When submitting your hard copy and e-thesis you must make sure that the Doctoral School has your application for the Doctorate Extension Scheme as this cannot be processed after the final award has been made. Failure to do this will mean that you will not be eligible for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

You will be provided with a CAS and you must apply to the Home Office for a Student visa extension using this CAS before your award date (you may have a very limited amount of time to make this application). Failure to do this will mean that you will not be eligible for the Doctorate Extension Scheme.

Please see our guidance about making a Student visa application.

Please note that this information is subject to change. You must ensure you check the information relevant at the time of submission and be sure that you meet the financial requirements of the visa application.

Requirements for Doctorate Extension Scheme

To qualify for the scheme you must:

  • be a research student who has who has current Student visa leave to remain in the UK*,
  • have completed the requirements for the research degree and are due to be awarded the degree;
  • be fully aware of the responsibilities to abide by the conditions of a Student visa and the Doctorate Extension Scheme, including that they must leave the UK once the visa expires (unless they have made a valid application for, or been granted further leave to remain in the UK);
  • report to the Doctoral School with your passport and Doctorate Extension Scheme visa as soon as it is granted;
  • keep the Doctoral School informed of your contact details;
  • inform the Doctoral School if you leave the UK and do not intend to return before your visa expires; and
  • respond to reasonable requests for information from the Doctoral School during your period of DES sponsorship
  • Please note be aware that failure to comply with the above requirements may result in sponsorship being withdrawn and your visa being curtailed.

Applications to scheme cannot be accepted if:

  • your Student Visa leave has already expired;
  • the results of your viva are not yet known;
  • the research degree award date has passed; or
  • you are currently not in the UK.
  • If you are studying on a visa type other than a Student visa please contact the Student Adviser (Immigration and Finance) for advice by emailing