SOAS University of London


Enrolment Frequently Asked Questions

  • I am starting in January 2020, will the campus be open?

    At SOAS, we understand that students are concerned about starting university in January given the uncertainties surrounding Covid-19. We want to reassure you that your safety is our highest priority and that SOAS is committed to ensuring the least amount of disruption to those of you joining us for the 2020/2021 academic year.

    From September, we will provide a blended learning experience that incorporates online learning with access to our campus and virtual social network. For further information please see our "Support and information for future students" web page.

    On campus, we will ensure we follow regulations on social distancing and health and safety measures so our students and our staff community can work and study safely. This blended learning experience means that all our students around the world - from Mumbai to Manchester - can start their SOAS journey with us.

  • I am a new student, how do I enrol?

    Log onto our Enrolment pages and follow the enrolment process for new students. To log on you will need the following information:

    •  SOAS 6-digit Student ID 
    • Password Date of Birth (e.g. 01-Jul-21) 

    For further information on how to enrol please see our, "Before you Start" section.

  • What happens if I don’t have a term time address in the UK?

    If you are not studying on campus for Term 1, initially your Term Time address will be the same as your Home Address. Once you have arrived and got settled, you can come back and update your details using SOAS Online Services

    If you do not have a UK address and you will not be coming to the UK for the first term of your studies, please enter your home address under the heading “Home Address”. Then, where it asks the following: 
    Which of your addresses are the same as your Home Address? 

    • Emergency Contact Address 
    • Term Time Address 

    Please select “Term Time Address”. 

  • What do I  need to do when my address changes when I come to London?

    Once you join us in London please do not forget to update your address, and any other personal details, on SOAS Online Services.

  • Can I still enrol if I don't have a visa yet?

    If you don't have your visa yet, you can still enrol. If you are inside the UK, you need to show us proof that you have submitted your visa application and then show us your visa once you receive it. If you are outside the UK, you can enrol without showing us any visa evidence. You will need to make sure you apply for and obtain your visa before you travel to the UK but you can enrol before you receive your visa.

  • I am a returning student, do I need to enrol?

    All returning students must re-enrol at the start of each academic year. You cannot continue your studies without re-enrolling.

    To re-enrol please log onto our Enrolment pages and follow the re-enrolment process for returning students.

  • How do I choose my modules?

    Module Sign-Up for Academic Year 20/21 will happen closer to the start of term.

    Look out for an email from us in mid September which will guide you through this process.

    For further information on Module selection please log onto our Module Sign-up page.

  • How do I get a Student Status letter from SOAS?

    Enrolment confirmation letters to confirm your student status, can be requested  once you have enrolled. 

    During your study at SOAS you may need a letter to prove your student status, whether it's for council tax exemption, opening a bank account, applying for a Schengen Visa, or many other reasons. The Student Hub can provide  student status letters as soon as you are fully enrolled.  

    Simply email the Student Hub at to request the letter, or alternatively you can make the request via the Student Information Desk.

  • Where can I find out more information about Welcome Season?

    For further information on Welcome Season including our Programme of Events please visit our web pages.

  • I have changed my mind about my course, what are my options?

    For further information on enrolment changes, please see our Enrolment page. Under the heading, “Enrolment Changes” you will find further information for both undergraduate and postgraduate taught students. If you are a postgraduate research student please contact The Doctoral School at

  • How do I pay my fees?

    Your tuition fees should be paid in full before or at enrolment at the start of each academic year.

    To pay your fees please visit Paying your tuition fees web page.

  • I am an EU student and I am worried about Brexit.

    When we talk about EU  nationals here, we are referring to EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their eligible family members from outside these defined areas. Different action will be required depending upon your situation. 
    If you are already in the UK and have applied for EU Pre-Settled or EU Settled status, no further action  is  required and life will continue as normal. 
    If you are in the UK already but have not applied for an EU status, you have until 30 June 2021 to make an application, after this date you may be technically considered as resident illegally in the UK and some things might become more difficult for you in general. 
    If you are not already in the UK and plan to arrive before 11pm on 31 December 2020, you will be able to apply for an EU status, as long as you apply before 30 June 2021. 
    If you are not already in the UK and plan to arrive after 11pm on 31 December 2020, you will need to apply in advance for a visa, the conditions of your visa will be more restrictive than current conditions for EU citizens in the UK and in comparison to those who arrive before the December deadline and applied for an EU status. 
    More information on the EU Settlement scheme can be found on the UKCISA website and in our  webinar.

  • Where can I find information for new international students?

    Further information for international students can be found on the International Students page.

  • How do I get my SOAS Student ID card?

    Once you have enrolled you will be able to receive a SOAS ID card. To learn how to get your SOAS  ID card please visit the ID cards page.

    This card gives you access to the library and all SOAS buildings.

  • Where can I find more information on intercollegiate courses?

    Intercollegiate students fall into three main categories:

    • Joint degree students  - if you are  studying a degree programme that is jointly delivered by SOAS and another College of the University of London.
    • Incoming intercollegiate students  - if you are studying an undergraduate or Master's degree programme at another College of the University of London and you are eligible to take an intercollegiate option at SOAS.
    • Outgoing SOAS intercollegiate students  - if you are already studying a degree programme at SOAS and you are eligible to take an intercollegiate option at another College of the University of London. 

    Further information on intercollegiate courses can be found on the Intercollegiate Modules page.

  • Where can I find more information on Study Abroad and Exchange opportunities?

    Whether your course at SOAS includes a mandatory year abroad, or if you are considering exploring an Erasmus exchange, you can find further information on our Outgoing Exchange Students page.

  • When will I know my timetable?

    The timetable is available on the Teaching Timetable 2020/21 page. Currently this is in draft version, as we are hard at work updating this information for the start of term.

    You can only access this once you have your student log in and you are fully enrolled.