SOAS University of London

Enrolment for new students

Enrolment for new Taught students (Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Certificates, Diplomas, Incoming Intercollegiate)

All students must fully enrol at the start of the year. We’ll email you between your unconditional offer acceptance and Welcome Week with all the information you need.

This page is for new taught students. There's a separate page for new postgraduate research students

If you’re taking a pre-sessional English programme before you begin a SOAS degree, go to the Pre-sessional programmes section.

Choose from:

Online registration

Online registration will open on the 19 September 2019, and we will email you with your login details once you have accepted an Unconditional offer. Before we send you this email, you must have accepted an unconditional offer of your place.  Once you have done this we will transfer your records to the correct system (see transfer dates below) and create your IT Account.

Once you have received your login details you can complete online registration by logging in to Online Student Services.

Transfer dates

  • Programmes starting before Welcome Week: daily from 16th August 2019
  • Undergraduate programmes:  daily from 26th August 2019
  • Postgraduate programmes:  daily from 19th August 2019

If you don’t get this email within 10 working days of accepting your unconditional place (after the transfer dates shown above), please email, to let us know and we’ll check your current situation on our records.

When you log on to complete online registration, please make sure you complete the following steps:

  • Confirm My Details
  • Upload a photo
  • Career Aspirations
  • Pay fees
  • Select your modules (available from 2nd September 2019)

We’ll email you full details on how to complete these sections in the lead up to Welcome Week. Full details will be available on the Online Registration section of this site once the system is available.

Enrolling in person

Most students will finish enrolling in person during Welcome Week – the first week of the academic year. Without this final step, you won’t officially be a SOAS student, and you won’t be able to get student discounts or official letters from us. Some students will enrol before welcome week, see the section below "Bridging courses and early enrolment" for more information.

Where and when do I enrol?

During Welcome Week you be required to attend an enrolment session which will take place on the ground floor of the Paul Webley Wing, also known as Senate House North Block. You can find a map of SOAS buildings here.

We allocate the enrolment sessions by  department and you will be emailed with your allocated enrolment session once this has been finalised. Please be advised that coming to the right session will help cut down your waiting time.

If you can’t make your allocated session, we will also have some "Open Enrolment" slots on the Wednesday and Friday afternoon during Welcome Week and we will give you the details of these when we email you.  Please note that if you attend an Open Enrolment session you might have to wait longer than usual.

When you attend enrolment, make sure you have all the essential documents with you.


Bridging Courses and early enrolment

If you’re taking a Bridging Course or your programme starts early September, you will have to enrol before Welcome Week - the schedule for these programmes is shown below:

Programme Enrolment Date & Time
MSc Finance & Financial Law, MSc Finance  2nd September 2019 (1pm-5pm)
MSc Economics  2nd September 2019 (2pm-4pm)
Law Masters Programmes  9th September 2019 (10am-12.30pm)
Economics Diploma  9th September 2019 (2pm-4.30pm)
Undergraduate Bridging Course  9th September 2019 (9am)
Mature Student Bridging Course  16th September 2019 (9am)
ICC  18th September 2019 (9am-12pm)
FDPS  18th September 2019 (1pm-4pm)


If you are enrolling before Welcome Week you will need to come to the Student Hub on the lower ground floor of the Paul Webley Wing for your enrolment.

Your department will send you information about your first few days on your programme.

Please make sure you’ve completed online registration before you begin your course.

Pre-Sessional programmes

You should get all the information about joining from the IFCELS department.  

Please make sure you read the online registration and enrolling in person sections too.

Incoming Intercollegiate students

You must ensure that you complete your enrolment at your “home” institution in addition to enrolling at SOAS.  Please read the details of Intercollegiate courses on our website.

Essential documents

To complete your enrolment, you need original versions of the following documents. We can’t enrol you without these:

EEA students
  • Passport or EU Nationality Card - If you don’t hold any of these, we might accept other forms of photo ID. Please ask to see the Enrolment Manager when you arrive at the enrolment hall, who’ll let you know whether your alternatives are acceptable; and
  • Evidence you’ve paid your fees, or evidence of your sponsorship - You should pay your fees or give us your loan/sponsorship details before or during Welcome Week; 
  • Your offer letter (either in hard copy, or saved on your phone/laptop/tablet) - this may be required by your Department;
Non-EEA students (who made a visa application outside of the UK)
  • Passport; and
  • Visa (either a temporary visa within your passport or a full Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)); and
  • Visa Approval Letter (provided by the UKVI confirming your visa and details for the collection of your BRP); and
  • Evidence you’ve paid your fees, or evidence of your sponsorship - You should pay your fees or give us your loan/sponsorship details before or during Welcome Week; 
  • Your offer letter (either in hard copy, or saved on your phone/laptop/tablet) - this may be required by your Department; 


You will have been provided with a temporary visa in your passport and you must collect your permanent Biometric Residence Permit on arrival from the Post Office listed on your Visa approval letter.  

You will be able to enrol with the temporary visa, but we must see your Biometric Residence Permit before your temporary visa expires, which will involve returning to the enrolment hall during Welcome Week, or attending the Student Hub in the Paul Webley Wing (from Monday 3rd October) with this Permit as soon as you have collected it.  We therefore strongly advise that you collect your Biometric Card before you attend your enrolment session if at all possible, to avoid having to return before your temporary visa expires.

If you’re in the process of applying for a visa, we’ll need to see the following instead:

  • A photocopy of the photo page of your passport; and
  • A photocopy of your current/previous visa; and
  • A copy of your visa application - This should clearly show the type of visa you’ve applied for and if it’s a Tier 4 Student Visa, we’ll need to see the section showing your CAS number and our sponsorship. (We suggest you print off and bring the whole document you submitted to the UKVI to ensure we have the evidence we need); 
  • Evidence you've paid your fees; 
  • Your offer letter; 


What if I can’t come in to finish enrolment during Welcome Week?

We strongly recommend that you come during your allotted enrolment slot.

If you can’t make it – with good reason – you’ll have to go to late enrolment at the Student Hub in the Paul Webley Wing.  Please read through the information on Late Enrolment further down this page as there are some restrictions.

Read more in the late enrolment section below.

What if I don’t complete enrolment?

Every student needs to be fully enrolled to study with us. If you don’t complete the enrolment process at the start of the year – and you haven’t been given permission to defer your studies – we’ll have to terminate your studies.

If you fail to enrol and you need a visa to remain in the UK, we’re legally obliged to let UK Visa & Immigration (UKVI) know. That will mean that your visa will be curtailed and you will have to leave the UK.

If you have any worries about completing enrolment, you can contact us through the online Student Information Desk (SID), once you have been given your IT Account details.  You will need to Request a Service and select the category of Enrolment and then "Enrolment Query".

Late enrolment

If your programme starts on 23 September 2019

If can’t enrol in person during the first week of term, we have the following late enrolment sessions in the Student Hub.

Please make sure you bring all the essential documents with you.

We’ll also ask you to sign a declaration accepting the risk and responsibility for catching up on missed work.

Monday 30 September - Friday 4 October

Late Enrolment takes place in the Student Hub in Senate House North Block between 10am and 4pm.  

Please make sure you complete online registration before you come to enrol in person.

Monday 7 October – Friday 11 October - Academic Approval Required

You can’t enrol during this week if you’re on a BA language degree, or an undergraduate degree with a language acquisition course. If you’re unsure, get in touch with your Department Office.

To enrol this week, you’ll need written approval from the Academic Admissions Tutor - you must request this using the online Student Information Desk (SID), selecting the Request a Service option - use the category of Enrolment and then "Late Enrolment Application".  This option will be available from 4th October 2019.

If you receive approval for enrolment during this week, you will need to attend the Student Hub in the Paul Webley Wing to complete the process (Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm).

Please make sure you have completed online registration before you come to enrol in person.

There’s no other opportunity, under any circumstances, for late enrolment after 14 October 2019.

If you can’t attend enrolment by this date, you’ll have to apply to defer to the next year’s entry.  You will need to contact the Admissions team to apply for a deferral.

January or April starters

If you’re joining us in January or April, you’ll need to complete online registration and enrol in person during the first week of term.  Your department will advise you on the arrangements for enrolment in January and April.

If you don't receive information from your department, please contact us:

  • If you have received your IT Account details, log in the online Student Information Desk (SID) and Request a Service selecting the category of Enrolment and the Request of "Enrolment Query";
  • If you haven't received your IT Account, please email us at


Please read the list of essential documents to make sure you bring everything you need.


What if I want to change my degree?

If you decide that you want to apply to change the degree that you will be studying, you need to fill out the online Degree Transfer Application. The Admissions team will obtain appropriate academic approval and confirm when this has been granted. 

Please note that there is no guarantee that you will be able to transfer your degree – it will depend on you meeting the entry qualifications of the new programme and there being available space on the programme.