Examinations and Assessments
In response to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic a No Detriment policy is in place. The No Detriment policy applies to on-campus Undergraduate (UG) and Postgraduate Taught (PGT) students. Information can be found in MySOAS for Students pages. These pages are regularly updated and contain answers to many of the frequently asked questions. If your question hasn't been answered in these resources please email email@example.com.
School Deadline for submission of coursework 2020/21
School deadline: 7 May 2021
No coursework submitted after the school deadline will be accepted and marked. If you are experiencing mitigating circumstances and difficulty meeting submission deadlines SOAS has a Mitigating Circumstances Policy in place to support students and enable you to apply for a refund of marks or uncapped resubmission. Further information and answers to your questions on this policy are available via MySOAS.
You will have received an email from firstname.lastname@example.org if you have been re-entered for any assessments from previous academic years. This email will detail your submission deadline.
Please contact the relevant Department Office for any further information on submission procedures.
Examination Periods 2020/21
The main examination period will run in term 3 from 10 May 2021 to 4 June 2021, inclusive.
The examination period will operate online. EX assessments will be delivered either as an Extended Essay or as a 48-hour Open Book Exam. Exams will operate via BLE: your questions and submission points will be available on the specific module page. A list of how each exam will be delivered will be published in mid-February via MySOAS. A full timetable for all examinations taking place in May-June will be published late March. In mid-April you will receive notification of your examination dates and times.
The late summer examination period will run from 23 August 2021 to 3 September 2021, inclusive.
This examination period is for re-entry examinations, if an exam is not passed in the main exam period, for UG non-finalists, including foundation, certificate and non awarding programmes (Erasmus, exchange and study abroad students) only. The timetable for the late summer period will be published in early August.
Publication of results
Confirmed results will be released via Online Student Services following review and ratification by the School Board of Exams and Assessment. The school boards meet twice a year, once in Summer and once in Winter in Term 1. Students will be notified via email when their results have been confirmed and released.
Please note: Marks available to students on BLE are provisional results and subject to change until confirmation and release on Online Student Services. Students’ results will be withheld if they have a fee debt to the School. For enquires regarding fee debt contact: email@example.com
- Finalists: Overall award classifications are confirmed in the Summer when you complete your degree.
- Non-Finalists: Progression outcomes and notification of your results will occur in the summer following the meeting of the Boards. If you have submitted work during the late summer re-entry period you will be notified of your results in Mid September.
- Taught modules: Results for your taught modules will be released and confirmed in the Summer.
- Finalists: Overall award classifications are confirmed in the Winter following submission of the Dissertation element.
- Re-entry or Deferred Finalists: Classifications for re-entry and deferred candidates will be confirmed at the closest meeting of the School Boards to your last deadline. Where the final work is submitted during or before Term 3 classifications will be confirmed in the Summer. Where the final deadline is in September, results will be confirmed in Winter.