How does a degree in Financial and Management Studies help with my career?
The department of Financial and Management Studies at SOAS provides its students with a specialist international focus and the skills needed to work effectively in a global, multicultural context. Graduates are equipped with advanced training and research expertise related to finance, management and development. They also gain a portfolio of widely transferable skills which employers seek, including analysing and selecting information; communicating effectively; understanding and interpreting numerical data - numeracy and problem solving.
Former Financial and Management Studies students have gone on to professional and management careers in both the private and public sectors, as well as continuing in the field of research at SOAS or other institutions.
Destination of 2015 graduates
Here is the latest information from the 36 known destinations of the 2015 UK, EU and International graduates of single and joint honours studies within the department.
All undergraduate students are contacted 6 months after graduation (so for undergraduate students this is in January) to find out what they were doing - working, studying or something else, such as travelling. We find out this data in the summer, so here is the latest information from the 77 known destinations of the 2015 UK, EU and International graduates of single and joint honours studies within the department.
Undergraduates: single and joint degrees
Destinations of recent graduates from this department immediately after graduation are listed below.
Example employers include:
- Amaranth Sustainable Development LLP
- Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ
- Christian Aid
- Dagong Global
- Elbus Group
- HM Treasury
- IDB (Islamic Development Bank)
- Lloyds Banking Group
- Pirola Pennuto Zei & Associati
- Proinpa Foundation
- Self-Employed Interior Designer
- Speciss College
- University of Roehampton
- Unspecifield Customer Experience Research Company
- Western Securities Co., Ltd
Example job titles include:
- Accounting Assistant
- Assistant Economist
- College Teaching Assistant (Economics)
- Deputy Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
- Financial Contractor
- Foreign Exchange Trading Business Manager
- Head of Control Rooms
- IT Auditor
- Market Research Executive
- Programme Support Officer (Latin America and the Caribbean)
- Project Management Worker
- Self-Employed Business Owner
- Self-Employed Designer and Public Relations (PR) Professiona
- Technical Manager
Graduate Destination Surveys from 2014 show that the majority of graduates who could be surveyed are either in work, further study, work and study or volunteering.
Further information about DLHE is available on the Careers Service website.
What do Graduates do?
- LinkedIn Alumni
- Prospects: What do graduates do
- Sector profiles: Banking and Finance and Business and Management
- What do London Graduates do
- Occupational profiles for 600 career areas on Prospects
- Postgraduate study information and database on Prospects
- For more information about careers, visit Careers Tagged
- All About Finance Careers
- Association of Insurance and Risk Managers
- Association of Taxation Technicians
- British Bankers’ Association
- British Expertise (formerly British Consultants & Construction Bureau)
- Chartered Financial Analysts Society of the UK
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy
- Chartered Insurance Institute
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales
- Institute of Financial Services School of Finance
- Institute of Risk Management
- Management Consultancies Association
- Accounting Web
- Actuarial Profession
- Discover Risk
- eFinancial Careers
- Financial Skills Partnership
- City Jobs