Please note that this degree will NOT be running from 2020/21.
The MSc Finance programme is designed to give students a thorough grounding in finance, covering the most important analytical tools used by professional practitioners in banking, investments and financial market analysis. In addition, students who take the MSc in Finance will acquire a sound understanding of theories in finance and of the workings of financial markets, for a career in finance or for further research at the PhD level. Students will also become acquainted with the main issues and methods in Corporate Finance, Risk Management, Banking, and Financial Econometrics. The programme will present Finance as a scientific discipline with a rigorous methodology, but at the same time will describe the way financial markets and institutions actually work in a variety of contexts.
Our teaching offers you exceptional insights into financial institutions and markets in London and other major cities in the world. In addition, we offer specialist knowledge of financial and management systems in the emerging markets of Africa, Asia and the Middle East – something that will set you apart from graduates of other universities that normally focus on the analysis of Europe and the Americas. You will develop an excellent understanding of key issues shaping international business strategy in a global financial environment.
By joining this programme, you will become a member of the world-leading Centre for Global Finance at SOAS and participate in high-profile events and weekly seminars. This will provide you the opportunity to exchange ideas with leading scholars, practitioners and policy makers who shape local and global developments today.
The MSc in Finance is convened by Professor Victor Murinde, who is the AXA Chair in Global Finance and Director of the Centre for Global Finance, here at SOAS University of London. Professor Murinde combines excellent academic experience, involving teaching and research across many areas of finance, with top-tier practitioner experience in finance at the global level. For further details, click here.
Why study MSc in Finance at SOAS
Learn from world-class financial experts
- we are ranked No. 2 in London and No. 11 in the UK, for Business and Management, by the Guardian University League Tables 2019
- lectures are delivered by bespoke professors in accounting and finance, who regularly publish in top international journals and have extensive experiences in banking, investments, industry, and A-list International Organisations
- we have the Centre for Global Finance (CGF), a world-leading research centre in finance, which hosts cutting-edge research projects that involve students and a global network of experts in generating innovative solution to real-time challenges
Obtain real-world skills in the global financial hub – London
- you will be equipped with strong quantitative and analytical skills to undertake professional tasks such as: financial analysis, risk management, investment appraisal and portfolio allocation
- SOAS is in close proximity to the City of London, a leading financial centre in the world with 75% of the top global companies based in the city, 100% of leading financial institutions represented, and 200 + foreign banks
Benefit from language support and diverse optional modules
- we are proud of our specialists in the delivery of languages, for well over one hundred years
- as the economies of the Global South continue to expand, knowledge of another language and other cultures will be a big asset in the world of commerce and international trade. Your command of a language at SOAS will give you competitive advantage in global job market
- you will be able to flexibly structure your programme using our programme optional modules and/or our open options modules from other departments
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Start of programme: September intake only
Mode of Attendance: Full-time or Part-time
- We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
- One calendar year (full-time) Two or Three calendar years (part-time)
Professor Pasquale Scaramozzino Convenor