Information for Prospective Students from France
Welcome to the country page for France. This page contains specific information for students from France.
- Entry Requirements
- English Language Requirements
- Socrates/ Erasmus Exchange and Study Abroad
- UK/EU Funding
- SOAS Careers Service
- Student Profile: Xavier Fournier
- Useful Links
Matt Naylor, responsible for supporting students from France, would be very happy to answer any questions you may have about applying to and studying at SOAS.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7898 4069
Further information on upcoming visits can be found on the Meet SOAS staff in your area web page.
It has been confirmed that current university students from the EU and those applying to courses starting in 2018/19 and 2019/20 will continue to benefit from the same fee rate and access to student loans as UK students.
SOAS statement following the UK EU referendum.
Guidance from Universities UK for EU students.
Entry requirements vary between departments, this ranges from 13-15/20 overall.
- A typical French Baccalaureat requirement for a course with a AAA/AAB A level entry requirement is an 13-14.5/20 overall.
- For International Option Baccalaureate (OIB) applicants we require between 13 and 15.
SOAS accepts the French Baccalaureat OIB Bilingual with a score of 11 and the French Baccalaureat General in English with a score of 13 (assez bien) in English, where the co-efficient applied to the subject is greater than 1. These scores allow for entry with an Insessional requirement.
View our other acceptable English language qualifications.
SOAS has Erasmus exchange agreements with a number of universities in France through which undergraduate and postgraduate students can study for one year or one semester at SOAS as part of their degree. More information can be found on the Socrates/ Erasmus pages. In the first instance students should speak to the exchanges or international office in their university for application details. If youruniversity does not have an exchange agreement with SOAS then you can still apply to spend one semester or one year at SOAS as part of your undergraduate degree on the 'Study Abroad' programme. Further information and an application form can be found on the Semester Abroad pages or please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. There are other scholarships provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations. For further information please visit the Scholarships web page.
French students who are eligible for UK/EU fees can also apply for a loan from Student Finance. The loan covers your tuition fees, is paid direct to SOAS and does not need to be paid back until after you complete your studies.
The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation. There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.
SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website.
- The British Council is the UK's international organisation for educational opportunities and cultural relations. Their France website is a useful resource for education in the UK and other cultural information.
- The British Embassy in France where you can find information about all aspects of the UK
- UCAS - the Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the central organisation through which undergraduate applications are processed for entry to Higher Education.
- UKCISA - the Council for International Student Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying in the UK.