GDAI - PhD scholarships
The Centre of African Studies offers 1 PhD scholarship to African nationals as part of the Governance for Development in Africa Initiative funded by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
In order to be considered for funding, applicants must first secure an UNCONDITIONAL OFFER for the PhD by applying directly to the SOAS Doctoral School.
The eligible PhD are only those within the following departments:
- Development Studies
- International Relations/Politics
- MA African Studies
- CISD (Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy)
- DEFIMS (Department for Financial and Management Studies )
- Distance Learning: CEFIMS(Centre for Financial and Management Studies), DEFIMS
Once the place is secured, the applicants can apply for the scholarship. Candidates will be assessed on academic merit by a panel consisting of SOAS academic members. The assessment of your application will be based on the information in your scholarship application. Please provide the following documents by email to email@example.com:
- complete application form (see pdf attached on the right side of this page)
- a copy of the unconditional offer received from SOAS admissions office
- CV (please include your email address)
- 2 pages max statement outlining knowledge and interest in governance-related issues
- Your research proposal (as sent to the SOAS Admissions Office)
Please note that CAS reserves the right not to award scholarships and will only award them where there are applicants judged to meet sufficiently high academic standards and with demonstrable interests in fields relevant to the objectives of the GDAI.
The scholarship scheme is currently suspended. Please check this webpage at the end of October 2017 for updates.
Mo Ibrahim Foundation Governance for Development in Africa Initiative
Tel: +44 (0) 207 898 4370