Annex III Equality & Diversity Committee
The Equality & Diversity Committee is a sub-committee of Academic Board. It is required to report to Academic Board on a termly basis and to Board of Trustees on a regular basis. It also has a responsibility to liaise with other committees and to keep them informed as necessary. The committee will report quarterly to the Executive Board and has the authority to escalate issues to it for further action or consideration. Members of the committee are functional representatives and are expected to communicate key issues and updates acting as a key link between the SOAS community and governance structures.
Terms of reference
- Oversee the implementation of SOAS EDI strategy and ensure its alignment with other strategies.
- Monitor and review SOAS performance across a range of equality, diversity, and inclusion measures.
- To consider strategic planning and policy development matters relating to equality and diversity, and make recommendations to Academic Board and other committees as appropriate.
- Hold EDI function leads accountable for delivery of EDI outcomes through regular reports.
- Commission and provide scrutiny to data, evidence and reports relating to equality, diversity, inclusion.
- Oversee and approve equality submissions for accreditation and benchmarking.
- An academic board member nominated by the Director
- EDI Manager
- Director of Finance
- Director of Legal & Governance
- Director of Human Resources
- Director of Student & Academic Services
- Director Research & Enterprise
- Director Access & Participation
- Head of Student Complaints
- 1 Head of Department
- 3 Academic Board representatives (Learning and Teaching representative, Equalities lead and Doctoral Research representative)
- 1 Department Manager
- 1 Student Union representative appointed by the Students' Union Executive Committee and one designated substitute to attend in a member's absence
- 1 Postgraduate Research student representative and one designated substitute to attend in a member's absence
- 1 UCU representative and one designated substitute to attend in a member's absence
- 1 UNISON representative and one designated substitute to attend in a member's absence
The Registrar and Secretary (COO) will nominate a Secretary. The Committee will normally hold three ordinary meetings per annum. A maximum of 2 named Students' Union Officers will attend meetings.