How does a degree in History help with my career?
With specialised knowledge in the history and broad cultural sensibilities of a region SOAS History graduates have found employment in a variety of sectors. As a history graduate you are likely to have developed valuable transferable skills, which include familiarity with methods of research; the competence to manage large quantities of information; the ability to select and organise information and analytical skills.
A degree in History can also improve your career progression and increase your chances of getting a higher paying graduate job. It is an invaluable experience that provides you with a body of work you can use to market yourself once you graduate.
Who do graduates work for?
SOAS History graduateshave gone on to employment in a range of professional roles in both business and public sectors, such as finance, marketing and public relations consultancies, educational and cultural organisations, charities and not for profit employers, publishing and media firms, national governments and academia.
Destination of 2017 graduates (Undergraduates)
All undergraduate students are contacted 6 months after graduation to find out what they were doing - working, studying or something else, such as travelling.
- Blackstock PR
- International Society for Water Solutions (ISWS)
- Middle East Consultancy Services
- Oxford Policy Management
- Research Europe Ltd
- Royal Society for Protection of Birds (RSPB)
- Shed Productions Limited
- Account Executive
- Events Co-Ordinator
- Freelance TV Researcher
- Graduate Trainee Banking
- International Account Manager
- Production Editor
- Public Relations (PR) and Policy Manager
- Research Intern
- Sixth Form Teaching Assistant
Destination of 2017 graduates (Postgraduates)
All postgraduate students are contacted 6 months after graduation to find out what they were doing - working, studying or something else, such as travelling.
- Civil Service (UK)
- Natural History Museum
- Open Learning Exchange (OLE)
- Oriental Institute
- Oxford Research Group
- SOAS University of London
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
- Yemen Times
- Charity Fundraiser
- Civil Service Fast Streamer
- Foreign Affairs Analyst
- Freelance Researcher
- Assistant Grants Manager
- Middle East Programme Assistant
- Research Assistant
- Senior Teaching Fellow
What do Graduates do?
- LinkedIn Alumni
- Options with your history degree
- Prospects: What do graduates do
- What London graduates do
Job Profiles and Careers Information
- Occupational profiles for 600 career areas on Prospects
- Postgraduate study information and database on Prospects
- For more information about careers, visit Careers Tagged