SOAS University of London

International Students

Information for Prospective Students from Hong Kong

Hong Kong Flag

Welcome to the country page for Hong Kong, which contains specific information for students from or currently living in Hong Kong interested in studying at SOAS.


David Taylor-Tumilty is the International Officer for Hong Kong and would be very happy to answer any questions you may have about applying to and studying at SOAS. Please feel free to contact him by e-mail on or by phone on +44 (0)20 7898 4030.

David also visits Hong Kong at least twice a year to attend education fairs, visit schools and universities and to meet with students interested in studying at SOAS. Further information on upcoming visits can be found on the Meet SOAS staff in your Area page.

You can also follow SOAS on Sina Weibo.

Minimum Entry Requirements

The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.


SOAS welcomes applicants taking the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE), the  International Baccalaureate (IB), and other qualifications. For details of the IB requirements for individual degree programmes please refer to the undergraduate admissions pages. 

Applicants taking the HKDSE are expected to take 4 core subjects (achieving Level 4 or above) plus 3 elective subjects (achieving Level 5 or above). The level a student needs to achieve in their electives will depend on the entrance requirements for the course they are applying to. Most offers will range from Level 5/5/5 to 5/5/4.


SOAS welcomes applications from those with an Upper Second Class degree (2:1) or above in their Bachelor degree. Graduates from a university in Hong Kong are expected to have a minimum 3.3 GPA. In addition, applicants should also refer to the individual programme entries in the postgraduate prospectus or postgraduate admissions pages, which may have additional requirements.

Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification equivalent to a UK Masters degree from a good university.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English must also show their level of English. For more information please visit the English entry requirements page. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.

For 2016 entry onward, SOAS will accept HKDSE English Level 5** and 5* as sufficient proof of English proficiency. Students achieving Level 5 will also be accepted but will be asked to take a short 'in-sessional' English programme in Term One.

Semester Abroad

SOAS has a fully integrated ‘Study Abroad’ programme for both undergraduates and postgraduates, where students can study at the School for either the Fall or Spring semester or a full academic year as part of their degree at another university. More information and an application form can be found on the Semester Abroad pages or please contact


SOAS offers a range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students. A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a list please visit scholarships and bursaries.

Employment Opportunities

If you apply for a visa before you arrive in the UK then you should be eligible to work part-time or volunteer during your programme of study. This visa will allow you to work part-time during the term (up to 20 hours a week) and any number of hours during the vacations. However, you should check before you apply for a job that your visa will allow you to do this particular kind of work.

Please be aware that to meet immigration rules for students, you have to show that you have enough money to support yourself during your studies without needing to work. For comprehensive advice on working in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website:

SOAS Careers Service

The SOAS Careers Service can help you to find volunteering opportunities and can provide information and advice on finding paid employment during your studies and after graduation. There will be a number of jobs (both voluntary and paid) within SOAS itself (for example, in the Students’ Union or cafe) and you can look out for these opportunities through the Careers Service or via the Students’ Union.

In-Country Representatives

SOAS works with the following educational representatives in Hong Kong. Contact them direct for further details. If you have any comments about these representatives please contact David Taylor-Tumilty on

Amber Education

819, Star House, 3 Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 852-23779115

Universal Consultants

Room 17C, Great Smart Tower, 230 Wanchai Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2398 3639


If you have any questions for a SOAS alum in Hong Kong then please contact the alumni association through the SOAS alumni website.  

Hong Kong Alumni Association
Some of our Hong Kong alumni

Useful Links

  • The British Council is the British Government's international organisation for educational and cultural relations. Their Hong Kong website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.
  • Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
  • UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
  • The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.
  • UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.