SOAS University of London

Human Resources

Employing Tier 4 students

Eligibility to work for Tier 4 students

Staff engaging non-EEA students have a responsibility to ensure that they do not exceed the weekly hours allowed by their visa.

Students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) are allowed to take limited employment in the UK, providing their conditions of entry to the UK allow this.

Provided that the expiry date of the Tier 4 visa has not passed, a student on a tier 4 visa can work:

  • a maximum of 20 hours paid or unpaid work per week during term time for degree students;
  • a maximum of 10 hours paid or unpaid work per week during term time for students studying courses below degree level;
  • full time outside of term time only i.e. during vacations and following completion of your course.

During term time, Tier 4 students must not undertake paid or unpaid work which would bring their total hours to more than 10/20 per week across all the work being undertaken. This includes paid, casual work, volunteering, acting as a student ambassador/invigilator, and any other type of paid or unpaid work both for the School and elsewhere. Tier 4 students must sign a declaration before undertaking work for SOAS.

Working hours are calculated on a weekly basis rather than a monthly average. Please use the weekly timesheet to submit hours worked to payroll for payment.

PhD students are required to book leave from their PhD studies, and have this confirmed by their supervisor, in order to take advantage of working full time.

Engaging a tier 4 worker

  1. Before any individual starts work, a copy of the right to work documentation must be checked, copied and signed by the nominated individual within the department.
  2. If the individual is on a tier 4 student visa, they should be given a copy of the student declaration to sign. This applies to all Tier 4 students, not just SOAS students.
  3. The timesheet has been updated so that the School can accurately record weekly working hours and can monitor the number of hours that the student is doing across all their assignments with the School.

Work undertaken must be reported to payroll in weekly hours, rather than as a cumulative monthly figure.

European Economic Area (EEA) nationals

EEA nationals do not require a visa to work in the United Kingdom.

The European Economic Area (EEA) includes the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Irish Republic, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway are not members of the European Union (EU) but citizens of these countries have the same rights to enter, live in and work in the United Kingdom as EU citizens. 

Switzerland is neither an EU nor EEA member but is part of the single market - this means Swiss nationals have the same rights to live and work in the UK as other EEA nationals.