SOAS University of London

Human Resources

Fractional Teachers Pay

You can find out information relating to pay periods, tax and pensions for fractional teachers on these pages.

Payments summary

Please refer to the Fractional Policy for full details of payments and eligibility.

Activity Pay rate
The Multiplier

Grade 6, 2.5x plain time rate;

Grade 7 3x plain time rate.

(includes class preparation; course administration)

Course preparation New GTAs 10 hours plain time for preparation of full course;
TFs and STFs and returning GTAs 5 hours plain time for preparation of full course.
(Half unit courses are remunerated at 50%)
Attendance at required department meetings including exam boards Plain time
Office hours for tutorial groups 6 hours plain time per term for up to three tutorial groups
Office hours when there are no tutorial groups 6 hours plain time per term for up to three classes
Assignment marking No additional payment
Assessed coursework marking 2.5 scripts per hour (where assignment is between 1500 and 4000 words);
3.5 scripts per hour (where assignment is 1499 words or less);
1.5 scripts per hour (where assignment is 4001 words or more).
Exam marking 2.5 scripts per hour
Supervising a postgraduate dissertation 8 hours plain time
Marking a postgraduate dissertation 1 hour plain time
Supervising an undergraduate dissertation 6 hours plain time
Marking a postgraduate dissertation 1 hour plain time
Setting an exam on another teacher's course 3 hours plain time
Marking a presentation for a course taught by another teacher 2 hours plain time
Lecture attendance where this is stipulated in advance by the Head of Department as a pedagogical requirement for an individual teacher. Plain time
GTA training £200 flat rate

SOAS Payscales

The School's  SOAS Pay / Salary Scales (; 85kb)  shows annual salaries, pay bands (grades) and spinal points.

The School's  Fractional Hourly Rates of Pay (; 41kb)   show hourly pay rates, hourly holiday rates and the equivalent annual salary.  The rates shown are prior the application of the multiplier for any contact teaching.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How are my hours of work calculated?

    Different arrangements apply to staff in IFCELS and the Language Centre. Please speak to your employing department for more information.

    The hours of work for fractional teachers are calculated by considering two factors:

    • Contact teaching hours (which are subject to a multiplier)
    • ‘Plain time’ hours.

    For staff on Grade 6, the multiplier is 2.5; for staff at Grade 7 and above, the multiplier is 3. This means that for each hour of contact teaching time at Grade 6, you are paid for 2.5 hours work. For each hour of contact teaching time at Grade 7 or above, you will be paid for 3 hours work.

    Plain time hours are calculated separately and are paid at your standard rate of pay.

    The multiplied contact teaching hours (i.e. the number of contact teaching hours increased by the relevant multiplier) and the plain time hours for each fractional teacher are added together to calculate the teacher’s ‘total hours’. These are the number of hours for which the fractional teacher will be paid.

    The ‘total hours’ of work are included in each teacher’s contract of employment and are used to calculate each individual’s full-time equivalent (FTE).


  • What is the FTE?

    FTE stands for ‘full time equivalent’.  It means the proportion or fraction you will be working of a full time member of staff who works full time (100%) OR 1.0 FTE.  

    A part-time member of staff working 0.2 FTE will work 1 day a week or 305 hours per year.

    A full time member of staff works 35 hours per week  and is paid for 52.143 weeks (including annual leave) or 1825 hours per year.  Their full time annual leave entitlement equates to 301 hours of annual leave per year.  This leaves 1524 hours of working time.

    Your FTE is calculated by dividing your total hours by 1524.  Your total hours are calculated by adding your plain time hours to your multiplied contact teaching hours.

    Your FTE is used to calculate your annual salary and other benefits such as annual leave entitlement.

    Agatha Runcible works 22 contact teaching hours and 14 hours of plain-time and is employed on Grade 7.
    Her 22 contact teaching hours equate to a total multiplied hours of 66.
    22 x 3 = 66.  
    Her total hours of work (both multiplied contact teaching hours and plain time hours) are 80
    66 + 14 = 80.
    Her FTE is 0.05 FTE
    80 ÷ 1524 = 0.05 FTE.

  • What is included in the multiplier and what duties would I expect to carry out?

    Different arrangements apply to staff in IFCELS and the Language Centre.  You can find out information from your employment contract and job description, or contact your departmental contact for further information.  

    If you work in a department, your multiplier includes payment for duties associated with classroom teaching including class preparation, administration and marking not connected to assessment, e.g.:
    • Preparing teaching materials required for classroom teaching including audiovisual aids, notes and handouts;
    • Updating the Virtual Learning Environment
    • In language based subject, finding text or other materials suitable for translation
    • Maintenance of class registers
    • Liaison with Departmental administrators and/or Head of Department, Course Director and Convenor as required.

    Duties for Language Centre teachers will vary considerably. If you are a Language Centre teacher, your duties will be determined by the Head of the Language Centre.

  • What is my holiday entitlement?
    In common with other part-time SOAS staff, you are eligible for pro rata annual leave based on your Full Time Equivalent (FTE). Like other term time only staff, you are not permitted to take annual leave on days which you are scheduled to teach; all your annual leave is deemed to be taken during School recess (holiday) periods.

    Annual leave will accrue during term time and you will be able to see the accrual reflected in your work schedule and payment report available on VT. Accrued annual leave will be paid in March, July and December.
  • How do I make sure I’m taxed correctly?
    You should complete the tax declaration as part of the online VT Candidate process.

    If you have a P45 form, please provide this to the Payroll and Pensions Department.
  • What is a Market Rate Supplement?

    At SOAS, the grade and therefore the salary of all posts is determined by job evaluation.  

    In some rare cases, paying the salary for a specific role will not allow SOAS to successfully recruit or retain someone to this specific role, usually a specialist job, where salaries in the external job market are much higher for the specific specialism/role.  

    In these cases, SOAS pays a market rate supplement (MRS) on top of the salary, to enable the job to be filled and member of staff retained.  The level of the MRS is determined by the job market.  

    MRS may only be awarded whether there is objective and verifiable evidence that salaries for similar posts are being paid at much higher rates and/or there is evidence of staff leaving SOAS for more highly paid jobs elsewhere.

    • In the case of fractional teachers, the decision to award an MRS should be made in accordance with the School’s Market Pay Policy and Addendum by your Faculty, including approval by the Head of Department.
    • MRS are awarded for fixed periods (normally for a year in the case of fractional teachers) but these may be extended if the market conditions which warranted the MRS still exist.  
  • What benefits am I entitled to?

    Fractional teachers are entitled to the same staff benefits as full-time staff. A summary is available on the staff benefits page.

  • I’m not sure when I’m going to get my contract or my pay; who should I contact?

    Fractional Teachers contracts will be emailed to you as an attachment together with details of how to accept them.

    Please check your SOAS email inbox to see if your contract of employment has been sent to you.  You will need your SOAS username/log-on (e.g. your SOAS email address) and password to log into VTS to accept your contact.

    If there is no offer in your email inbox, please contact your departmental administrator.

     They will be able to inform you if your records have been entered onto the VT system and its status [e.g. if it has awaiting authorisation by your Head of Department (or delegate) or it has been sent to you for acceptance.

    Once you have accepted your contract on VTS, payments can be processed for you.

    Details of your departmental administrator can be found on the Key Contacts for Fractional Teachers.

  • My hours on my offer of employment are incorrect; what should I do?

    There may have been a change your hours after your contract was created on the VTS system. 

    If you think your contract is incorrect [e.g. the hours of work are incorrect on the contract, teaching activities are missing etc], please contact your departmental administrator immediately to explain the problem with your contract and to ask them to correct it as soon as possible.

    Remember that:

    • You will not receive any payments for work in the contract until you have accepted it. 
    • The payroll is normally closed on VT on 25th of each month (earlier at Xmas) ; any contracts accepted after this date will be paid in the following month.
    • Some payments such as marking will not  normally be included in the original contract as the payment details are not known at this stage; you will receive a revised contract once any additional hours from your module/programme convenor or IFCELS/Language Centre manager are confirmed
    • If your contract is incorrect, your administrator may need to investigate with your convenor or IFCELS/Language Centre manager before they can amend your contract
    Variations of contracts:
    • Any changes to your contract will require authorising by your Head of Department (or delegate).
    • You will receive a copy of the revised contract by email
    • Your payment will be automatically processed; you will not need to log into VTS to accept the change to your contract
    • If you have queries about the change to your contract or think it is incorrect, contact your administrator immediately.

  • What is a National Insurance Number (NIN) and why do I need one?

    A National Insurance (NI) Number is used in the UK for the administration of social security (National Insurance) and tax purposes.  You will need a NI number if you are going to work in the UK.  

    If you are moving to the UK from abroad, you may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP.

    If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

    You need to apply by phone for a National Insurance number find out how to apply on the Government website.

    Your NI number will be used to record any National Insurance contributions that may be deducted from your salary, which will be used to build up your entitlement to certain state benefits, including the State Pension.

    Your NI number should normally be provided when you register on VT Candidate. Please forward your National Insurance number to Payroll if you have only received it after starting work with SOAS.