SOAS University of London

Human Resources

Fractional Teachers - Tax & NI


If you have not worked for the School before or you have had a gap in service, you will need to send the Payroll and Pensions team, a P45 tax form from your previous employer.  

If you are a new Fractional Teacher, you will receive an email asked you to complete a VTC online form which includes a Starters (tax) Declaration.  The VTC data will be used to create your employee records including tax records.

National Insurance

A National Insurance number (NIN) is used in the UK for the administration of social security (National Insurance) and tax purposes.  You will need to notify us of your National Insurance number prior to starting work.

If you do not already have a National Insurance Number, you will need to apply for one from Job Centre Plus.  Information on the NIN application process and National Insurance Registration help-line numbers can be found on the UK.Gov website.

July 2018