SOAS University of London

Human Resources

Right to work in the UK for fractionals

Right to Work

You will need to provide original documents in person to prove your legal right to work in the UK. By law this must be done in person by someone seeing your original documents.  Scans or photocopies of your documents can not be accepted.

Who checks my right to work?

Normally this is done by your employing department's administrator. They will send the copies of your documents to HR who will verify that they prove your right to work.

You may be asked to provide additional documents or informed that we cannot proceed with the appointment, if your documents do not give you the right to work. Full guidance on checking Right to Work

When should my right to work check be carried out?

It must be completed before you can start work and is normally carried out on the day of your interview/selection process.

You must make an appointment with your employing department to bring in your documents if the check is not carried out at your interview

 If you are already working for SOAS but have a visa for a fixed-period, you will need to provide your documents to us every time your visa is renewed.  We will be unable to continue to employee you beyond your visa expiry date.  Please make arrangements to bring in your documents to your employing department as soon as your visa is renewed and before the expiry date of your last visa.

What documents do I need to provide?

Only certain documents provide legal evidence of your right to work such as your passport and biometric residence permit (BRP).   

Full information about the documents which provide evidence of your right to work in the UK are available on the GOV website.