Who is this programme for?:
The FDPS Pre-master’s programme is designed for international students who want to study for a postgraduate taught or research degree at a British university. You may need to complete a pre-master’s programme if any of the conditions below apply to you:
- You have a full undergraduate degree which meets the requirements of postgraduate programmes, but would like to develop your English or academic study skills on a UK university campus, in preparation for Master’s study.
- You have a full undergraduate degree but you wish to change your academic focus for postgraduate study, or you do not have the required background experience for a particular postgraduate subject area, and so you want to develop or deepen your knowledge or the relevant subject area.
- Your current undergraduate qualifications do not fulfil the requirements of the postgraduate programme(s) you want to apply for and so you wish to add value to your academic performance through a pre-master’s year.
Features and Benefits
- a wide range of academic modules available to student – find out more by clicking the ‘Structure’ tab.
- a unique integrated approach to English development, where the language teaching and learning are directly linked to the material covered in the academic modules.
- the experience and expertise of our teaching and lecturing staff
- extensive individual support provided to our students through regular one-to-one meetings with lecturers, teachers, personal tutors, academic supervisors and academic advisors
- the central London location - all teaching is done by SOAS staff on the Central London (Russell Square) campus, within walking distance of the SOAS Hall of Residence and the West End of London. You can find a map of the area here
- the UK campus experience that our students receive – all our students have full SOAS status and have access to all SOAS facilities including library, student support services and students’ union clubs and societies.
Progressing to Postgraduate Study
Students who achieve a minimum level of academic and English language performance on the FDPS Pre-master’s programme are guaranteed progression to SOAS postgraduate programmes in most subject areas (subject to satisfying eligibility requirements), and will receive a 5% discount off their tuition fees. However the FDPS diploma award from the University of London is recognised by British universities across the UK and our Academic Advice Team provides one-to-one support with every stage of the postgraduate application procedure. A list of the postgraduate destinations of students who finished the programme last year can be found here.Click here to view the latest FDPS Pre-master’s Brochure
The SOAS Foundation Diploma for Postgraduate Studies (FDPS) Pre-master's programme is a ten-month course providing academic and English language preparation for international students who want to enter Master's degrees (taught and researched) in Social Science, Business and Management-related studies, Arts and Humanities at British universities.
Since the FDPS Foundation programme was started in 1993 our students have progressed to Master’s study at institutions in the University of London, and over the UK.
All high-ranking British universities recognise the FDPS Pre-master’s as a value-adding academic and English-language programme for international students. Our destinations list here shows the universities and programmes that our students joined last year.
Maria Ester Sgambato
Winner of FDPS Achievement Prize 2016-7
Now studying MSc Development Studies at SOAS
"The FDPS programme has been an incredibly important step in my academic life. It helped me make a mature and informed decision on which master’s to pursue, gain the abilities I needed to succeed in it, and made me confident that I could do so. It has truly been a special and unforgettable experience, and I will always carry the time I spent on it with me."