Who is this programme for?:
The FDPS Pre-master’s programme is designed for international students who want to study for a postgraduate taught or research degree at a British university. You may need to complete a pre-master’s programme if any of the conditions below apply to you:
- You have a full undergraduate degree which meets the requirements of postgraduate programmes, but would like to develop your English or academic study skills on a UK university campus, in preparation for Master’s study.
- You have a full undergraduate degree but you wish to change your academic focus for postgraduate study, or you do not have the required background experience for a particular postgraduate subject area, and so you want to develop or deepen your knowledge or the relevant subject area.
- Your current undergraduate qualifications do not fulfil the requirements of the postgraduate programme(s) you want to apply for and so you wish to add value to your academic performance through a pre-master’s year.
Features and Benefits
- a wide range of academic modules available to student – find out more by clicking the ‘Structure’ tab.
- a unique integrated approach to English development, where the language teaching and learning are directly linked to the material covered in the academic modules.
- the experience and expertise of our teaching and lecturing staff
- extensive individual support provided to our students through regular one-to-one meetings with lecturers, teachers, personal tutors, academic supervisors and academic advisors
- the central London location - all teaching is done by SOAS staff on the Central London (Russell Square) campus, within walking distance of the SOAS Hall of Residence and the West End of London. You can find a map of the area here
- the UK campus experience that our students receive – all our students have full SOAS status and have access to all SOAS facilities including library, student support services and students’ union clubs and societies.
Click here to view the latest FDPS Pre-master’s Brochure
Progressing to Postgraduate Study
Professor Deborah Johnston, SOAS Pro-director, Learning and Teaching, congratulated our FDPS 2017-18 prize-winners on their achievements and presented their prizes at the IFCELS Welcome Reception for our new students in October 2018.
"I enjoy studying at SOAS because there is a diverse mix of people and I can see the world from various perspectives. Moreover, there are lots of open seminars in SOAS we can attend beyond our programmes and these experiences have led me to think about our world and contemporary issues deeply and enthusiastically."
Kazuna Azuma, FDPS Achievement Prize Winner 2017-18
Now studying MA Social Anthropology at SOAS
"Through the FDPS programme, my language and academic abilities have greatly improved, which is very important for my current study. Also because of the high-quality teaching and great academic atmosphere on FDPS, I decided to stay at SOAS to study my Master’s degree. I really appreciate my friendly classmates and responsible teachers during the whole programme. What I learned from FDPS will benefit my future study and life a lot."
Linyu Tang, FDPS Progress Prize Winner 2017-18
Now studying MA Global Creative and Cultural Industries at SOAS
The SOAS Foundation Diploma for Postgraduate Studies (FDPS) Pre-master's programme is a ten-month course providing academic and English language preparation for international students who want to enter Master's degrees (taught and researched) in Social Science, Business and Management-related studies, Arts and Humanities at British universities.
Since the FDPS Foundation programme was started in 1993 our students have progressed to Master’s study at institutions in the University of London, and over the UK.
Students who achieve a minimum level of academic and English language performance on the FDPS Pre-master’s programme are guaranteed progression to SOAS postgraduate programmes in most subject areas (subject to satisfying eligibility requirements), and will receive a 5% discount off their tuition fees. However the FDPS diploma award from the University of London is recognised by British universities across the UK and our Academic Advice Team provides one-to-one support with every stage of the postgraduate application procedure. A list of the postgraduate destinations of students who finished the programme last year can be found here.
All high-ranking British universities recognise the FDPS Pre-master’s as a value-adding academic and English-language programme for international students. Our destinations list here shows the universities and programmes that our students joined last year.