Terms and Conditions Summer Programme and Presessionals
Terms and Conditions Summer Programme and Presessionals (updated October 2015)
1. Completed acceptance forms and payment of the tuition fees for the full period of study are required to reserve a place and for a CAS or confirmation letter for visa purposes to be issued (if required).
2. When booking SOAS Accommodation through the IFCELS department at the preferential rate given on the Summer and Presessional Programme websites, full payment of accommodation fees is required to reserve a place.
3. Presessional students requiring a visa to study on the programme will be issued with a CAS if they are going on to a degree at SOAS or other UK university immediately afterwards. Students taking a Presessional as a stand-alone course will normally be issued with a confirmation letter to enable them to apply for a Short-term Study Visa.
4. IFCELS Summer Programme students requiring a visa to study in the UK will normally be issued with a confirmation letter to enable them to apply for a Short-term Study Visa. In cases where a student is planning to continue to another programme at SOAS or other UK institution without returning to their home country afterwards, a CAS can be issued.
5. IFCELS reserves the right to ask for all relevant documentation or information to decide if a student is eligible for a CAS. If IFCELS decides not to issue a CAS, any tuition fees already paid will be refunded subject to a 10% administration charge. In the event of a visa refusal when the refusal is not due to an error on the part of IFCELS, only one further CAS will be issued in support of a second and final visa application.
The School is under no obligation to issue a second CAS if:
(a) the first application for a Student Visa was rejected by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).
(b) the student’s programme of study is due to begin shortly, and it is clear that there is not enough time for the new visa application to be processed in time for the student to arrive before the last agreed start date.
6. “Non-visa nationals” (eg those holding a passport from Japan, Republic of Korea, Taiwan, HK, Mexico) studying for less than six months have the option of obtaining a Short-term Study Visa on arrival in the UK. In this case it is the student’s responsibility to have the required documentation (see information in offer letter) in their hand baggage when they travel to the UK and to ensure that the Entry Clearance Officer gives them the correct “Short-term student” entry stamp. Students without the correct entry stamp will not be permitted to enrol on the programme and may be required to leave the UK and re-enter.
7. Any changes made to course selection after the student has accepted and paid for the course(s) will be subject to an administration fee of £50.
8. Full fees are payable before the first day of the course the student has registered on. Students who have not paid fees in full will not be able to complete their enrolment or receive a timetable and will not be allowed to attend class until the fees are paid.
9. Tuition fees are non-refundable except in cases where:
(a) a visa is refused due to an error on the part of IFCELS or where an unreasonable delay in the visa issuing process means that the student cannot join the programme. The fees will not be refunded in cases where the student has provided incomplete or incorrect information on the visa application or where the application has been made too late to have a reasonable chance of being processed in time for the student to join the programme. Copies of the visa refusal letter need to be provided if a refund is requested. In the cases above a full refund will be made.
(b) the student’s circumstances make it impossible for them to start their studies, for example due to serious ill health or accident, bereavement in the close family or major change in financial circumstances. The request should be made in writing to the Head of Department and should include evidence (eg medical certificate). In this case the request for a refund must be made before the day the student is due to start their studies and a full refund can be made (minus a 10% administration fee).
(c) (FOR PRESESSIONAL STUDENTS ONLY)
the student pays for the Presessional and then retakes IELTS and achieves a score which reduces their Presessional requirement (eg from 12 week to 8 week, 8 week to 4 week) or achieves a score which means they are no longer required to take a Presessional Course. If IFCELS receives the improved score at least 4 weeks before the start of the course the student had paid for, a refund of the difference in fees will be made (minus a 10% administration fee). If the improved score reaches IFCELS within 4 weeks of the original course start date, no refund can be made.
The Head of Department’s decision regarding requests made under 9a/b/c above will be final.
10. In the case of student withdrawal before the start of their studies, any tuition fees paid can be transferred (subject to a 10% administration fee) in full or part payment for study on any IFCELS programme in the same or following academic year. A request for the fees to be carried over to the following year must be made to the IFCELS Finance Officer before the beginning of the next financial year (1st August). Tuition fees paid to IFCELS cannot be transferred in this way.
11. No refunds will be made to students whose studies are terminated due to poor attendance or for other reasons.
12. Refunds of tuition fees must be requested in the same financial year (1st Aug - 31st July) as the start of the programme
13. Accommodation fees paid for SOAS Accommodation through the IFCELS Department are non-refundable. However IFCELS will make every effort to re-sell unwanted rooms to other students and, in this case, a full or partial refund will be made, depending on the proportion of the fees recovered.
14. Refunds of accommodation fee payments NOT made through the IFCELS department (including those paid direct to SOAS Halls) are subject to the agreement between the student and the accommodation provider.