Welcome to the country page for India, which contains specific information for Indian students interested in studying at SOAS.
- Contact Us
- Minimum Entry Requirements
- English Language Proficiency
- Foundation Courses
- Useful Links
We are delighted to answer any questions you might have about applying to and studying at SOAS.
Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4700
You can find out about forthcoming visits at the Meet SOAS staff in your Area page.
SOAS also works with the following local representatives in India and you can contact them directly with any questions about applying to and studying at SOAS:
The below are guidelines only and do not guarantee entry. Each application will be judged on its own merits.
Indian School Certificate (ISCE or CBSE) with at least five subjects. An overall percentage of 85% will be considered as equivalent to AAA at ‘A’ level. Applicants offering either ‘A’ levels or the IB Diploma will also be considered. In addition you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements. Further information can be found on the undergraduate admissions pages.
Applicants with a second class upper (or equivalent) bachelor’s degree from a good university will be considered for entry to a SOAS master’s degree.
Research applicants would normally be expected to have completed a Masters qualification from a good university.
In addition you should check the individual programme of study for any specific academic requirements; please refer to the postgraduate prospects or postgraduate admissions pages.
Applicants whose first language is not English will normally have to provide evidence of their English language proficiency. Please check the English language requirements page for detailed information. SOAS does offer English summer courses (‘pre-sessionals’) for those who do not meet the exact entry requirements so that students have the opportunity to improve their language skills before beginning academic study.
Those applicants who do not meet the above entry requirements or would like to improve their English language before studying for a degree, could consider applying for one of the foundation degrees offered at the SOAS IFCELS centre. Students can improve their English while studying academic courses in an area of their choice, including Development Studies, International Business, Media and Communication and International Politics.
SOAS offers a wide-range of scholarships, bursaries and awards to support students, including 11 SOAS Masters scholarships for £14, 670, which is open to any Masters student studying full-time.
A number of scholarships are also provided by the University of London, the British Government and other external organisations, for a list please visit scholarships and bursaries.
The SOAS Careers Service is part of the The Careers Group, University of London, which is the biggest careers service in the country. The Careers Service provides a range of services including a careers information library, career counselling services and various events throughout the year, to help with career choice, job hunting, applications and interviews.
SOAS has alumni all over the world, if you would like to contact an alum to ask any questions then please visit the SOAS alumni website.
- The British Council is the British Government's international organization for educational and cultural relations. Their Indian website is designed for those seeking information and advice on education and contemporary arts in the UK.
- Education UK is produced by the British Council to help international students interested in a UK course or qualification.
- UKCISA - The UK Council for International Students Affairs provides information on many aspects of studying overseas, including visas and working while studying.
- The UK Border Agency also has up to date information on immigration and visa requirements.
- UCAS - The Universities and Colleges Admission Service is the body through which all applications for undergraduate study must be made.
- The British High Commission in India may also be able to help you with information about travelling to the UK.