SOAS University of London

International Students

Changes to UK government Secure English Language Tests

The UK government lists qualifications it considers Secure English Language Tests (SELTs) for visa purposes. Currently only Trinity ISE taken inside the UK and UKVI IELTS taken at UK government-approved test centres around the world are considered SELTs. You can find more information about the changes on the UK Visas and Immigration webpages:

Applying for a UK visa: approved English language tests

The government allows universities to accept non-SELT qualifications as evidence of English language proficiency, and SOAS accepts all the qualifications listed on our English language requirements webpages, including all IELTS qualifications, for direct entry to its undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses providing B2 level scores have been achieved.

For the 4 and 8 week uncoditional Pre-sessional programmes (Undergraduate and Postgraduate admissions) we are able to accept a variety of English language tests from visa and non-visa applicants, such as IELTS Academic, TOEFL IBT or Pearson Academic test of English.

However if you are a Tier 4 visa student wishing to enter an undergraduate or postgraduate programme via the 12 week Pre-sessional course, a valid SELT must be submitted, such as the UKVI IELTS.

For Research students all Pre-sessional courses are conditional so a valid SELT must be submitted in all cases where entry via a Pre-sessional course is required. See the Research English pages for more information.


Students who wish to find out more information about English requirements for the different Pre-sessional courses at SOAS should consult the SOAS Pre-sessional web pages.

Study Abroad

Students applying for Study Abroad courses (Study Abroad, Exchange and Erasmus programmes) should consult the Study Abroad web pages.


Students applying for courses offered by IFCELS (such as FDPS, ICC or ELAS or IFCELS summer school programmes) should consult the web pages below and are advised to contact IFCELS for any further information about English language requirements.

SOAS Academic Summer School

Students applying for SOAS Academic Summer school programmes are advised to contact the SOAS Academic Summer school team at about their English requirements.