Issuing a CAS
- For all programmes a CAS will only be issued to Unconditional offer holders who have signed and returned the acceptance form included with the offer letter.
- Once issued, a CAS number is valid for 6 months.
- You cannot apply for your Tier 4 visa more than 3 months before the start of your program.
- A CAS cannot be used more than once. If your visa is refused and you wish to make another visa application you will need to request a new CAS. You must email your admissions team (please see requesting a CAS). There may be an administration charge if SOAS has to issue a new CAS in this case.
Issuance of CAS with Pre-sessional English courses
If your offer is conditional on you attending an ENGLISH pre-sessional course before registering for your main programme of study, you will have to apply for a CAS that covers only the duration of the pre-sessional course at first. Once you have successfully completed the pre-sessional course and met the English language requirement, you must then request a new CAS to cover the duration of your main programme of study.
The International Student and Welfare Adviser at SOAS will be able to assist you with your visa extension.
Before allowing you to enrol on your main programme of study SOAS will ask you to provide:
- A copy of your passport pages and current visa, and
- Proof that you have submitted a Tier 4 Visa application (extension) using a CAS number from SOAS before your leave expires, e.g. recorded delivery receipt, UKVI acknowledgement letter.
To apply for a pre-sessional English course you should complete an English pre-sessional application form. Then IFCELS will be able to issue the first CAS.
Issuance of CAS with Pre-sessional English courses AND Academic Conditions
If your offer is conditional on attending an English pre-sessional course and you still have to provide evidence that you have met the academic conditions, you may want to wait until your degree results are available before applying for a pre-sessional course. If your academic results are not going to be known until June/ July, you could register to attend the English pre-sessional course and request a CAS to cover the duration of the pre-sessional course as described above. SOAS will issue another CAS for the duration of your main programme of study once you have met the academic conditions and successfully completed the English pre-sessional course.