Working After Your Studies
The Graduate visa allows you to remain in the UK to work or look for work in the UK after successfully completing an eligible course. Successful applicants will be granted a 2-year visa if they complete a degree course and doctoral graduates will be granted a 3-year visa. The main eligibility criteria are outlined below but please read our FAQs for detailed guidance.
- You can only apply in the UK
- You must apply before your Tier 4 or Student visa expires
- You must have successfully completed a UK Bachelor's degree or postgraduate degree such as a Master's or doctoral degree
- Your successful course completion must have been reported to UK Visas & Immigration by SOAS
- You must have successfully completed the eligible course during the validity of your current Tier 4 or Student visa
- For courses that are longer than 12 months, you must have studied on that course in the UK for at least 12 months. You must also have held valid Student visa during those 12 months.*
*Covid-19 concessions currently state:
"3.27 Students sponsored for a course lasting longer than 12 months will not be prevented from being eligible for the Graduate route as a result of any distance learning that took place either in the UK or overseas between the period of 24 January 2020 and and 27 September 2021 or any distance learning which took place overseas between 27 September 2021 and 30 June 2022. If a Student’s current permission expires prior to 30 June 2022, they must enter the UK prior to the expiry of their Student permission rather than 30 June 2022."
Please see our Graduate route FAQs. These will be regularly updated.
Due to the high demand the Student Advice Service will not be able to provide one-to-one advice for the Graduate route. However, we will provide webinars. Our last webinar took place at on Thursday 10 February 2022. To view a recording of the session please follow this link. We will hold further webinars throughout the academic year.
Note: please do not make your Graduate route application until you have confirmation from SOAS that your 'successful completion' has been confirmed to UKVI. This can only be confirmed after your results are published. For details about publishing of results, please see this SOAS webpage for undergraduates and this page for postgraduate taught students.
Doctorate Extension Scheme
The Doctorate Extension Scheme closed on 1 July 2021 when the new Graduate route opened. Please see above.
Other visa types that allow work in the UK after your studies
Please see the UKCISA website for other post study work visa options.
Where can I get help looking for work?
The SOAS Careers Service offers guidance, advice and information resources on careers, employers, vacancies, CV’s and interview skills.