Requesting a CAS
All students who plan to apply for a Student Visa will need to request a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
When to request a CAS
We recommend that you request your CAS as soon as possible, as visa application processing times can vary from country to country.
- You can request a CAS up to 6 months before the start of your studies, but we will not begin processing CAS requests for September 2021 intake until 1 May 2021.
- You have firmly accepted your Unconditional offer for a full-time study programme.
- You must have a valid passport (within 3 months of programme start date).
- Do not request a CAS if you are going to renew your passport – wait until your new passport has been issued and then request a CAS with the new passport details.
- Deadline to request a CAS: 30 days before start date of your programme
- CAS requests usually take 5 days, but can take up to 10 days to process during busier times or if there is missing information on your form.
How to request a CAS
Complete the CAS request form and upload the following supporting documents:
- colour scan of passport (required)
- evidence of scholarship (if applicable)
- evidence of tuition fee payments (if applicable)
- previous UK student visas (if applicable)
- Parental Consent form (only required for under 18 applicants)
Requesting a CAS for Pre-sessional English
*** Covid-19 Update ***
All Pre-sessional English programmes for summer 2021 will be delivered online. This means you will not be able to apply for a Student Visa to come to the UK for the Pre-sessional programmes. All students doing the Pre-sessional English courses should request a CAS and apply for a visa for the start of Term One (September 2021).
We may be able to arrange for you to receive a combined Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) for your degree programme and Pre-sessional English (PSE) programme. This means you will only need to make one Student visa application to cover the full duration of your PSE programme and your degree programme at SOAS. To be eligible for a combined CAS you must meet all of the following criteria:
- your degree programme starts within one month of the end of your PSE
- received and accepted your offer for a degree programme at SOAS
- paid the Postgraduate deposit (if applicable)
- have an Unconditional offer for a degree programme OR have a Conditional offer where the only condition related to your English language level
- IELTS (or equivalent) with a min score of CEFR B1 (4.5) in all four components.
If your offer is conditional on attending a Pre-sessional English (PSE) course and you still have a pending academic condition and your results will not be available until June or later, you will need to apply for two separate CAS numbers – one for the PSE and one for your degree programme..
After you have met the academic conditions and successfully completed the PSE, we will issue a second CAS for your main programme of study. The International Student and Welfare Adviser at SOAS will be able to assist you with your visa extension.
Issuing a CAS
Once you have requested a CAS we will need to verify some information and ensure that you satisfy immigration rules before issuing the CAS.
- Academic progression: Students cannot start a new course, even with the same university, if you have not completed the course for which you were last granted a Tier 4 or Student visa. If you are applying to study on a new programme but you have not achieved the qualification for which you were studying you won't be able to renew your visa in the UK. You will have to reapply from your home country and make a new Student visa application.
- Level of previous study in the UK: going from lower level to higher level (e.g. BA to MA).
- Number of years of any previous study in the UK.
- Current Passport and any current Tier 4 or Student visa.
- Reason for previous visa refusal (if applicable).
- A CAS number is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.
- You can only use the CAS number once. If your visa application is refused and you want to reapply, you will need a new CAS.
- If your CAS expires or your application is refused, please email the relevant Admissions team to discuss the situation and request a new CAS.
- SOAS reserves the right to decide whether to reissue a second CAS, and there may be an administration fee.
If SOAS has issued a Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) to sponsor you in the UK as a Student, the School has a duty to report to UK Visas & Immigration if you do not attend regularly, withdraw from your course or interrupt your studies.