SOAS University of London


Admissions FAQs

  • What kind of job can I expect to get after my degree at SOAS?

    Students from SOAS go on to varied and international careers. SOAS Careers Service offers a comprehensive careers service with specialist information which reflects your interests and courses of study. The Careers service at SOAS can give you guidance, and you will also be able to use the services of the University of London Careers Service (ULCS), the biggest University careers service in the country

  • When do courses start?

    The academic year usually begins at the end of September. Students on study abroad programmes can usually start in January. Term dates are available here.

  • Where is SOAS in London?

    SOAS has two campuses. The first is located at Russell Square, Bloomsbury in the heart of London close to the British Museum and British Library. The nearest tubes are Russell Square, Euston and Euston Square.

    SOAS's second campus, Vernon Square, opened in September 2001. The nearest tubes are King's Cross and Angel. The School has two student residencies, Dinwiddy House and Paul Robeson House, situated adjacent to Vernon Square, accommodating over 750 students.

    For further details see the campus map of SOAS.

  • Will I be able to work while I'm in the UK?

    Most international students will now be permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full time during vacations. However, you should not rely on income from part-time work to pay for you living expenses, and it may not be possible to balance work and studying.

  • Will I have access to email/internet?

    There are internet ready PCs in various locations throughout the SOAS buildings and in the library. All students will be given a SOAS email address, and you will also be able to access online email accounts such as hotmail. SOAS offers a free network access port in the student rooms at Dinwiddy and Robeson Halls, and there are public access ports throughout the campus. PCs must be registered for use of these.

  • Do I need a visa to come to the UK?

    If you are a non-EEA national (European Economic Area) and are coming to study in the UK for more than 6 months, then you must apply for 'Entry Clearance'. You must apply for Entry Clearance in your home country in good time, before travelling to the UK.

    To find out whether you need to apply for entry clearance please see the Foreign Office website.

    If you are already in the UK and require an extension to your visa, then you should contact the welfare office for information on how they might be able to help you with your application (

  • Do you have any scholarships?

    SOAS has a limited number of scholarships for international students. Information on these is available on the scholarships pages of the web site.

  • Do you provide on-campus accommodation?

    SOAS student accommodation is located close to the Vernon Square campus, and is only a 20 minute walk away from the Russell Square site. Applications for accommodation can be made online, with a unique reference code which will be sent to you when you have accepted the offer of a place at SOAS. The accommodation is managed by Sanctuary Students .

    Students can also apply for limited spaces in intercollegiate halls. Please visit University of London for more details.
  • How do I apply to SOAS?

    Undergraduate applications should be made through

    (UCAS) Universities and Colleges Admissions Service . International students are now able to apply online.

    Postgraduate applications can be made direct to SOAS. Further information on postgraduate courses and a downloadable application form are available on the Postgraduate Admissions pages.

  • How do I pay my fees?

    Fees must be paid in full for the whole academic year before or at enrolment unless you are a self-funded student with an agreed instalment plan. 

    A fee payment by instalment option is available to all self-funding students undertaking on-campus degree programmes. The minimum tuition fee for instalments is £1500. The fees are paid in two equal instalments:

    • the first instalment is due before or at enrolment
    • the second is due by 31 January

    An administration charge of £150 is payable for the instalment option.

     We discourage students from paying in cash.

    For details on how to pay your fees, please visit the fees section of the website.

  • How many international students do you have?

    Over 40% of our students are from outside the UK and the SOAS student body represents over 130 different countries in Asia, Africa, the Middle East, Europe and the Americas.

  • How much are the tuition fees?

    For details of the current tuition fees, please visit the fees pages of the website. 

  • How much can I earn?

    The amount you can earn from part time work varies from 4GBP per hour up to 10GBP per hour, depending on the type of work and your previous experience. SOAS has a large Careers Service based on campus which advertises part-time jobs, internships and volunteering opportunities and can help to advise on your CV and applying for jobs. Please look at the Careers Service pages for more information.

  • What are the entrance requirements?

    Since SOAS welcomes students from over 130 different countries, we recognise a wide range of different qualifications. Please check the academic requirements page for more information. Alternatively please email either or to discuss your particular qualifications.

    It is also important for international students to show that they have a good level of English.  Please look here to find out about English language entry requirements

  • What are the expected living costs?

    The amount you spend will depend on your personal tastes and standard of living. Please look at the Living in London page for further details.

  • What courses are available?

    SOAS offers undergraduate (Bachelors), postgraduate (Masters) and research (PhD). We also offer a range of certificate, diploma and foundation programmes or students are able to register with us for short term study abroad or as occasional students, for selected classes. We specialise in the study of Asia, Africa and the Near and Middle East. As well as languages and cultural studies, we offer Law, Economics and other Social Sciences. We also have programmes in Media, Anthropology, Music and History. Information on all of these can be found on the web site.

    Please follow the links for more information: