SOAS University of London


International Students How to Apply

In these uncertain times, we want to reassure you that SOAS is looking forward to welcoming new and continuing students in September 2020.

We’re delivering all of our teaching, assessment and support for current students online for the remainder of the year - and we’ll be ready to start the new academic year in September.


If you are applying for an undergraduate course you must apply through UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service for the UK). Please visit the Undergraduate pages for more information.


If you are applying for a postgraduate course then you can apply directly to SOAS. You can complete an online application form and find out more information on the Postgraduate section.

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad programme is available to full-time undergraduate and postgraduate students who want to study at SOAS for one term or one academic year as part of their degree. Students can take units from any degree programme and from across any department to create their own unique programme of study. For more information and details on how to apply please look at the Study Abroad pages.

Exchange Programmes

If you are an undergraduate student currently studying in Europe, then you might wish to consider applying to study at SOAS for a short time through the Socrates/Erasmus exchange. Please check the Erasmus Exchange pages to see whether your home university has an agreement with SOAS.

Undergraduate students from Japan and Korea can also apply to study at SOAS for one academic year on the Japan and Korean exchange programme.

Certificates and Diplomas

If you are interested in any of the Certificate programmes or diplomas, then there is a separate application form. You can find out more on the Certificate and Diplomas page.

Associate Students

Students who are interested in studying at SOAS but are not already studying at another university and do not want to be formally assessed for a degree or certificate/ diploma can apply to be an associate student. Associate students can study at SOAS for either one term or one academic year and can take one or more courses from any degree programme. For more information, please look at the Associate Students page.

English Language courses

For the foundation courses or pre-sessional and in-sessional English language courses, you must apply to the IFCELS centre directly.