Overseas Leading University Programmes
AKS Korean Studies grant secured by Dr Jaehoon Yeon.
The Centre of Korean Studies is delighted to announce that SOAS research team (Project leader: Dr Jaehoon Yeon) has received the Academy of Korean Studies “Overseas Leading University Program for Korean Studies” grant for the period 2011-2016. The grant for the project has been decided as 1,000,000,000 KRW (=GBP 550,000) over five years.
In 2006, SOAS became the first European beneficiary of the “Korean Studies Institution Grant”, the predecessor to the “Overseas Leading University Program for Korean Studies”. Thanks to the generous support of AKS, SOAS was able to significantly expand its manpower and infrastructure, its research programme and its event calendar over the past five years.
- The SOAS Centre of Korean Studies will continue with its mission of creating the research manpower, infrastructure, and programmes needed to ensure an ongoing flow of research expertise on Korea, with which to meet the challenges of Korea’s increasing prominence in a rapidly changing global environment. The Centre will execute the following main components of the project:the establishment of one research fellowship
- The continuation of our popular series of seminars which was created under the previous AKS grant
- The continuation of our program of conferences and workshops
- The development of curriculum and research materials, which will be more ambitious and varied than in the previous grant period (2006-2011)
- The continuation and expansion of support for postgraduate students at SOAS
- The publication of papers from the seminars, conferences and workshops in (2) and (3)
- The continuation of research publication by staff members supported by AKS grant