SOAS University of London

SOAS Language Centre

Applying for a Student Visa

To apply for a Tier-4 Adult/General student visa you must:
  • Have been issued with a CAS number from SOAS.
  • In addition to the CAS number, we will email you a copy of the details that have been submitted to UKVI. You should use this information to complete your visa application.

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
Before you can apply for a Tier-4 Adult/General Student visa, you must have been issued with a CAS reference number (Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies) from SOAS.  A CAS is a unique 12 digit reference number issued to each applicant. The CAS number is valid for 6 months only. If the CAS is not used within 6 months from the date it was issued, it will automatically be invalid. Applicants must apply for their visa up to and no more than 3 months prior to the start of the programme.

Other documentation:

  • You will also have to submit all the original documentation (eg; Degree certificates/transcripts/ approved UKVI Standard English Language Test - SELT) that have been used by SOAS as the basis of the offer of a place.
  • Show you have enough money to pay your tuition fees, maintenance costs of your course/programme or that you have already paid them.
  • Show you have the required amount to cover your living expenses for the first 9 months of your course and the required amount for any dependant if applicable.
  • Funds can come from an official sponsor such as your government, SOAS, or the UK government and/or must have been held in a bank account in your name for at least 28 days before you apply for the visa.  

Please don't request a CAS if you are going to have your passport renewed. Wait until your new passport has been issued before submitting your request with the new passport details.

To request a CAS number please complete the CAS request form.  Kindly note that a CAS will only be issued to Unconditional offer holders who have accepted their offer.

Issuing a CAS

  • For all programmes a CAS will only be issued to Unconditional offer holders who have signed and returned the acceptance form included with the offer letter.
  • Once issued, a CAS number is valid for 6 months.
  • You cannot apply for your Tier 4 visa more than 3 months before the start of your program.
  • A CAS cannot be used more than once.  If your visa is refused and you wish to make another visa application you will need to request a new CAS. You must email your admissions team (please see requesting a CAS).  There may be an administration charge if SOAS has to issue a new CAS in this case.

Switching Sponsors

If you have already been granted Tier 4 entry clearance to the UK under the sponsorship of another university, and change to a new course to study at SOAS, you must apply again under Tier 4, with a CAS issued by SOAS.