How To Apply for Short Language Courses
Before you enrol, please choose the correct level of course to apply for. Our language webpages provide all the necessary information on levels and contents of courses. Please note that each course runs on a specific day; we therefore recommend you check our timetables of short evening courses in order to choose the day that suits you best.
If you are a returning student, you receive a letter informing you of the procedures for rejoining, including how to pay, prior to the start of the registration period. Students, continuing onto the following course, do not need to be assessed.
New Student and a Complete Beginner
If you are a complete beginner, you are advised to book your chosen course directly online via the Online Store.The Online Store process is quick and easy but, if you cannot use this route, you can also enrol in person or by post - see below.
Sometimes the Online Store may say ‘Out of Stock’. This is to give us time to stock-take and create a new class for courses that are popular. If you see ‘Out of Stock’ for your chosen course, please contact the administrator by phone or e-mail and they may still be able to enrol you on the course.
New Student and Not a Complete Beginner
Follow the steps below for placement in the course that is right for you:
- see the following link to Language Proficiency Level Specifications;
- complete and submit the Online Self-Assessment Form;
- complete the suggested language assessment;
- contact the relevant Language Administrator who will advise you on placement options.
Once you have been told (based on assessment), which course to join, you may enrol and pay in any of the following ways:
- online via our online store
- in person by filling out an Application Form in our office
- by post by sending an Application Form to our office address
- credit card payments may be made in our office
- for in person or postal enrolments, cheques can be accepted
- cash payments cannot be accepted under any circumstances
Payments at Discounted Rates
Before enrolling please email the relevant Language Administrator a scan of your valid student/staff ID and inform them of the course you would like to enrol onto. We can then email you a discounted fee link for our online store.
Students from the following colleges are eligible for a discount.
Please note that during the Registration Period (August and September), the volume of emails and phone calls is extremely high. Please help us by checking whether the information you want is already available on our webpages.
Thank you for your interest in studying at SOAS Language Centre and please contact us if you have any further enquiries.