How To Apply for Short Language Courses
You can book all Beginners 1 courses directly on the Online Store under 'Language Centre'.
Please refer to our language webpages for information on the levels and contents of our courses. Each course is scheduled to run on a specific day each week; we recommend you check our timetables for Autumn courses in order to choose the day that suits you best.
New Student and a Complete Beginner
If you are a complete beginner, you can book Beginners 1 courses on the Online Store under 'Language Centre'. All our courses are subject to our full Terms and Conditions. If you experience any difficulties, please email the Language Administrator.
Sometimes the Online Store may say ‘Out of Stock’. This is to give us time to stock-take and create a new class for courses that are popular. If you see ‘Out of Stock’ for your chosen course, please contact the Language Administrator by phone or e-mail and they may still be able to enrol you on the course.
New Student and Not a Complete Beginner
Follow the steps below for placement in the course that is right for you:
- see the following CEFR Language Level Specifications (pdf; 116kb)
- complete and submit the Online Self-Assessment Form;
- contact the relevant Language Administrator who will advise you on placement options.
Once you have been told (based on assessment), which course to join, you may enrol and pay in any of the following ways:
- you will be sent a link to enrol via our online store
- in person by filling out an Language Centre Application Form (pdf; 32kb) in our office
- by post by sending an Language Centre Application Form (pdf; 32kb) to our office address
- credit card payments may be made in our office
- for in person or postal enrolments, cheques can be accepted
- cash payments cannot be accepted under any circumstances
If you are a returning student you will receive an email with a link inviting you to re-enrol once enrolment for the next term opens. Please note that this only applies if you have not missed the preceding term of study. If you have not yet received an email, or would like to pick up your studies following a term out, please contact the Language Administrator.
Please see here for our fees. Fees include reference access to SOAS Library.
Payments at Discounted Rates
If you are eligible for a discount, before enrolling please email the relevant Language Administrator a scan of your valid student/staff ID and inform them of the course you would like to enrol onto. We can then email you a discounted fee link to enrol online.
Discounts must be claimed at the time of enrolment.
Please note that during the Registration Period (August and September), the volume of emails and phone calls is extremely high. Please help us by checking whether the information you want is already available on our webpages.
Thank you for your interest in studying at SOAS Language Centre and please contact us if you have any further enquiries.