Please read the following Guidance Notes before completing and submitting your Application Form. Print out this page if you wish to keep the notes.
Qualifications for Entry
To enter the Awards you must meet the following criteria:
- Non-Japanese parentage and nationality.
- Continuously resident in one or more member states of the European Union between the time of application and the Final Round.
- Open to anyone over 18 years of age.
- Not more than 13 years’ stay in Japan.
- Previous winners of the First Prize are not eligible to re-enter into the competition.
The organisers’ decision on an applicant’s eligibility is final, and no correspondence can be entered into on the subject.
- The deadline for the receipt of applications is 30th November 2018.
- Telephone interviews will be held after the applications have been received.
- All candidates will be informed whether they have been selected for the Final Round.
- By 15th January 2019: Finalists to send speech details to The Sir Peter Parker Awards
- Wednesday 13th February 2019: Final Round (afternoon) and Awards Ceremony (evening), in London.
When we acknowledge your Application Form, we will contact you to arrange the date and time of your telephone interview. This is intended to give the Judges an indication of your general level of ability in Japanese, so as to assess whether you should proceed to the Final Round of the Awards. You are not expected to have prepared a speech at that stage, though it would be useful if you had given some thought to possible theme.
The telephone interview will deal with everyday matters on which you would be expected to be able to converse in Japanese - for example, talking about a recent visit to Japan, or about your work and your speech idea. It doesn’t have to be defined at this stage. Guidance will be given when the interview is arranged.
The telephone interviews will be recorded for subsequent assessment by a Panel of Judges.