- One-year course with 3 terms, 10 weeks per term, 4 hours per week
SOAS Language Centre
Arabic (Modern Standard) Accelerated Stage 2 Course
2017 Entry requirements
- Fees and funding
Mode of Attendance: Part-time
The course is aimed at completing the upper intermediate and advanced levels over three terms and is reasonably fast paced. It is designed to improve the skills of communicating in Modern Standard Arabic acquired on the beginners course or similar courses.
Having completed this course, students should be able to:
- Form and understand a wider range of sentence structures of Arabic;
- Read texts on familiar topics and understand the main ideas with/without using the dictionary;
- Speak about themselves and their environment, carry out transactions, and initiate and sustain conversations on a number of familiar topics;
- Carry out written transactions connected to daily life and simple correspondence
Over three terms, students can expect to complete the upper intermediate and advanced levels according to the following schedule:
Term 1 = Upper Intermediate Terms 1 and 2
Term 2 = Upper Intermediate Term 3 and Advanced Term 1
Term 3 = Advanced Terms 2 and 3
The course is taught in English and Arabic and includes coverage of the four skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing and a good balance between understanding the systems of Arabic grammar and vocabulary, developing the skills of comprehending and producing Arabic in speech and writing, guided practice in language usage and use and authentic communicative activities. Class size is limited to fifteen to allow intensive interactive practice with individual feedback and advice on progress.
Back to the Language Centre Homepage
Fees and funding
Course fees quoted are per term of 10 weeks.