Language Entitlement Programme: Free Language Classes
SOAS would like all its students to possess at least a basic working knowledge of one of the languages which we teach. Read more about the LEP scheme on the Language Entitlement Programme webpage of the Faculty Arts and Humanities.
SOAS Language Centre
SOAS is one of the two providers for the LEP. If you are interested in signing up for free language classes with SOAS Language Centre, please check the information below.
When do LEP classes start?
Free language classes with the Language Centre are run in Term 2 only. They start in the week beginning 15 January 2018.
What do LEP classes comprise?
- 2-hour class, once a week, in the evening
- Over 10 consecutive weeks
- Tuition is free but there is a £20, non-refundable fee
- You may need to buy course materials
What levels are available?
- Complete Beginners - most LEP classes are aimed at ‘Beginner 1’ level
- Some knowledge of your chosen language
Are you a Complete Beginners? - How to Apply:
Enrolment is easy, online, and does not involve making any enquiries to the Language Centre. You will need to sign in to the Student Information Desk. On SID:
- Follow: ‘Request a Service’ / ‘My Studies’ / ‘LEP’
- Complete your application
- Press submit button
Please note that the SID enrolment for LEP Beginners 1 courses commencing w/c 15th January 2018 is now closed.
Next step: Email confirmation
- The Language Centre will email you one week after you submit your application to them
- Please follow the instructions in the email for paying your admin fee
- Acceptance of your payment confirms you have been registered on your chosen course
- No other confirmation or explanation is sent to you
Not a Complete Beginner?
If you have some knowledge of the language, do not apply through SID but follow our language assessment process. We have classes at all levels that you may join as part of LEP. The arrangements for registering non-beginners are very simple. You only have to come to the Language Centre itself at the appointed time for the assessment. Please note, due to great demand for places at a higher level, please arrange to take your assessment as early as possible (and by end November, at the latest).
Language Assessment Process: How to Apply
- Read the language level specifications here CEFR Language Level Specifications (pdf; 116kb)
- Complete and submit the Online Self-Assessment Form
- Contact the relevant Language Administrator who will arrange a time for a placement assessment with one of our teachers at the Language Centre
- Attend the Language Centre at the arranged time for the assessment.
Please note that the non-SID enrolment for all non-Beginners 1 courses is now closed.
Next step: Placement
- We will place you in a suitable class (subject to availability)
- You will receive instructions about how to enrol
- Classes are subject to a quorum and not all of the classes offered are guaranteed to run
- Should you have any problems in enrolling, please email the relevant Language Administrator Language Administrator, email the relevant Language Administrator, using your SOAS email account.
ALL LEVELS - Information for LEP applicants
- We can offer all LEP applicants a language
- Places are allocated on a ‘first come’ basis so early enrolment is advised
- In week beginning 8 January, late applicants for popular languages, which fill up quickly, may need to opt for a second-choice language class
- No late enrolments will be accepted
- If, exceptionally, the chosen course is cancelled, you will be informed in Week Beginning 8th January and offered an alternative class
- Please LEP Terms and Conditions (pdf; 185kb)