Language Entitlement Programme (LEP)
SOAS would like all its students to possess at least a basic working knowledge of one of the languages which are taught in the School.
In addition to the LEP, all SOAS students may take any of the regular evening or Saturday language classes run by the Language Centre with a discount of 25% off the public fee.
Transition-year LEP for those who started in 2017-18
Students who were enrolled in academic year 2017-18 or earlier but have never taken a LEP class will still be able to take a free non-credit bearing language class during 2018-19 only.
The following languages will be available as 4 hours per week classes in the Language Departments:
|Africa||Amharic, Hausa, Somali, Swahili, Yoruba, Zulu|
|Near and Middle East||Hebrew, Persian, Turkish|
|South Asia||Bengali, Hindi, Nepali, Punjabi, Urdu|
|South East Asia||Burmese, Indonesian, Thai, Vietnamese|
The following languages will be available as 2 hours per week evening classes in the Language Centre:
Arabic, Bengali, Burmese, Cantonese, Chinese (Mandarin), French, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Kurdish, Persian, Portuguese, Sanskrit, Sinhala, Spanish, Swahili, Tamil, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Vietnamese, Urdu.
What do LEP classes comprise?
- 2-hour class, once a week, in the evening
- Over 10 consecutive weeks in Term 1 or Term 2
- Tuition is free if you are eligible* for this final year of LEP but there is a £20, non-refundable fee
- All levels available
- You may need to buy course materials
- Places in classes are offered on a first-come basis
* eligibility for a free place will be checked prior to enrolment by student number.
The arrangements for registering for the Language Centre classes, both transition-year LEP and discounted courses, will be posted here by mid-August 2018.