Language Entitlement Programme (LEP): Free Language Classes
SOAS would like all its students to possess at least a basic working knowledge of one of the languages, which we teach. Employers welcome graduates with language skills, so the LEP is a great way to enhance your CV.
Under LEP you may register for one free language course, additional to your own programme of study (subject to availability) during your time at SOAS.
Who is eligible?
Students currently enrolled on any of the following full-time programmes:
- PG Taught Masters
- Study Abroad
- Complete beginners welcome
- No prior experience of language study is required
- Classes available at all levels
Certificate of Attendance
NB: The course is not for credit, and transcripts and formal accreditation are not available. Students may request a certificate of attendance, stating the level attained.
Students may enrol with one of two providers:
- SOAS Language Centre
- Relevant Regional Section in either the School of Languages, Cultures and Linguistics (LCL) or the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures (EAS)
For the best language learning outcomes, you are encouraged to register on a full-year language module for credit.
SOAS Language Centre
The LEP course is run in Term 2 only:
- 2-hour class, once a week, in the evening
- Over 10 consecutive weeks
- Tuition is free but there is a £20, non-refundable fee
- You may need to buy course materials
- See for languages offered
To apply, visit SOAS Language Centre/LEP
Regional Section of LCL or EAS
The LEP is a full-year module. It is at the discretion of the convenor, subject to space (so all languages may not be available). The module requires full attendance of:
- Minimum 4 classroom hours per week
- Over 22 weeks
- 4-6 hours of study outside classroom, for the whole academic year
Please consider carefully whether you have the time and energy to devote to a language taught module, in addition to your existing workload.
To apply: contact the convenor of your chosen language to check availability.
- Complete the LEP Application form (available from the School office during Welcome Week or download from this page) and obtain the convenor’s signature.
- Deadline for submission of LEP form is the Friday of Welcome Week. (Late applications cannot be considered in any circumstances)