Conference Invitation and Call for Papers: SOAS University of London and Beijing Foreign Studies University Joint Conference
THIS EVENT IS ARCHIVED
Date: 8 November 2018Time: 12:00 AM
Finishes: 9 November 2018Time: All Day
Type of Event: Conference
Area studies advocate breaking national boundaries and the use of regional perspectives to investigate and understand historic and contemporary cultural and linguistic developments and dynamics. The approach emphasises using multidisciplinary methods and trans-disciplinary dimensions to investigate the diversity of cultures and languages in Asian and African worlds. A particular focus of area studies lies on Asian and African studies in the era of yi dai yi lu ‘One Belt One Road’.
SOAS, University of London and Beijing Foreign Studies University are pleased to announce the jointly organised second international conference "Diversity of cultures and languages in In Asia and Africa", taking place at SOAS on 8/9 November 2018.
The aims of this conference are 1) to enhance the academic dialogues on Asian and African area studies, 2) to deepen the development of Asian and African area studies, 3) to explore the possibility of cross-disciplinary development in Asian and African area studies in the era of one belt one road, and 4) to strengthen institutional relation between SOAS and BFSU.
Relevant topics of the conference include but are not limited to:
- Language policies in African and Asian Studies
- Inter-cultural communication and education
- Linguistic and cultural contact and exchange in Africa and Asia
- Textual and manuscript study on Asian and African Studies
- Language teaching research and language pedagogy
- Media and film studies and Asian and African Studies
- Asian and African Literature
- Translations Studies
- Music Studies and Ethnomusicology
The conference encourages interdisciplinary discussion, and we welcome submissions from fields such as African studies, Asian Studies, Linguistic Anthropology, Sociolinguistics, Education Studies, Comparative Literature, Cultural Studies, Endangered Language Studies, Media Studies, Migration Studies, History Studies and related fields.
SOAS, University of London
Beijing Foreign Studies University
London Confucius Institute
2. Date and Venue
Conference date: 8th- 9th November 2018
Venue: SOAS, University of London
3. Requirements for Conference Paper
- Relevant to the conference theme
- Originality of presentation
- Each presentation will be scheduled for a 20-minute talk followed by a 10-minute discussion
4. Abstract Submission
- Abstracts are invited from any member of SOAS and BFSU for no more than 500 words stating the research context, research findings, results and significance.
- Deadline for the submission: 1st June 2018
- Please submit the abstract to firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. The Conference Language is English
6. Conference Support
- Accommodation: A limited amount of funding is available to support the costs of accommodation to non-UK based scholars from 8-10 November 2018.
- Food & Beverage and material expenses are borne by the conference organiser.
- Participants from BFSU are invited to apply for a limited amount of travelling subsidy.
7. Local Organising Committee
Lutz Marten, Li E, Yan Jiang, Griseldis Kirsch, Suen Lik, Alena Rettová, Richard Williams, Liqun Zhou (BFSU), Yingying Mu (Conference Manager)