Kay Everett Memorial Lecture
The Kay Everett Lecture Series is a collaboration between SOAS School of Law and Wilsons Solicitors LLP in memory of Kay Everett.
About Kay Everett
Kay read Law and Chinese at the University of Leeds before working first at the City firm Lovells and later at the magic circle firm of Freshfields in 2000. In 2004, Kay turned from the field of finance and financial law to study human rights law at SOAS. Upon graduating, she joined Wilsons Solicitors. She was a passionate fighter for the most vulnerable of clients, many of them facing indefinite detention or immediate removal. Kay was first diagnosed with cancer in 2009 when only 36. She fought the disease with tenacity and amazing dignity. In so doing Kay inspired all who knew and loved her.
Past Kay Everett Memorial Lecturers:
- 2019/20 - Defending Migrants in the Era of Trump
- 2018/19 - Holding the Balance: National Security, Civil Liberties and the Role of the Investigatory Powers Tribunal
- 2017/18 - It’s about time: ending the tragedy of indefinite immigration detention
Wilsons also sponsor the Kay Everett Memorial Prize for the best dissertation on a Human Rights Law topic. Past Winners of the Kay Everett Memorial Prize:
- 2019/20 - Patrick De Brun - Title: "Queering Kampuchea - LGBT Rights Discourse and Postcolonial Queer Subject- Formation in Cambodian Queer Politics"
- 2018/19 - Chara Elizabeth De Lacey - Title: "Corporate Due Diligence and Accountability in Global Supply Chains: Legal Challenges and Possible Solutions."
- 2017/18 - Eda Seyham - Title: "Temporary Exclusion Orders: Beyond a Human Rights Critique of pre-emptive security."
Previous Events in this series
Professor Patricia Viseur Sellers17 March 2021, Virtual Event, 5:00 PM - 6:30 PM
David Cole, National Legal Director of the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU)9 March 2020, Brunei Gallery, Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre (BGLT), 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Rt Hon Lord Justice Rabinder Singh QC20 February 2019, Brunei Gallery, Brunei Gallerry Lecture Theatre (BGLT), 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
Speaker: Martha Spurrier, Director of Liberty
Kay Everett Inaugural Memorial Lecture1 March 2018, Brunei Gallery, Brunei Gallery Lecture Theatre (BGLT), 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM