Overview and entry requirements
In addition to fulfilling the requirements of a QLD, the SOAS Senior Status LLB also provides students with an overview of legal systems in Africa and Asia creating a truly global, and consequently unique, Senior Status LLB. The Senior Status LLB is a condensed degree, allowing students to complete a 3 year undergraduate programme in 2 years. This is an intensive course of study, suitable for high performing graduates. The Senior Status LLB consists of undergraduate modules taught alongside the traditional 3 year LLB students.
SOAS is unique as the only higher education institution in the UK specialising in the study of Africa, Asia and the Middle East. The School also has the largest concentration of specialist faculty concerned with the study of these areas at any university in the world. SOAS is consistently ranked among the top higher education institutions in the UK and the world and it also offers a friendly, vibrant environment for students in a diverse and close-knit community.
While providing our students with a solid grounding in key legal principles and methodologies, we seek to do more than that. The SOAS Law Degree aims to produce highly skilled, civic minded and critically engaged graduates, who can contribute to their communities and societies in myriad ways. In the first year our students are introduced to the core elements and principles of the English legal system, and provided with the key analytical skills necessary for undertaking a demanding law degree program. During this first year students will also be introduced to elements of legal principle and practice from other countries.
See School of Law
Why study Law at SOAS
- UK Top 20 and World Top 200 for Law (QS World University Rankings 2021)
- SOAS is unique as the only higher education institution in the UK specialising in the study of Asian, Middle East and North African (MENA) and Sub-Saharan African regions
- this programme will immerse you in the legal traditions and practices of a number of global regions, which will give you a critical understanding of the role of law in the world today
- we specialise in key topics including international and transnational law, human rights, transnational commercial law, environmental law, comparative law and socio-legal method
- we are specialists in the delivery of more than forty African and Asian languages. Your command of a language will set you apart from graduates of other universities
- you will be able to flexibly structure your programme using our Open Options modules to take advantage of the expertise of our other departments, including the opportunity to learn a regional language
Year 2 entry
However, in the second year our students will be even more fully immersed in the distinctively SOAS program. Our students can choose from a wide array of optional courses that draw on the unique research expertise of our staff. The emphasis we place on choice, and research-led teaching, will allow our students to pursue a number of distinct specialisms as their degree progresses, but whichever path they choose to focus on the courses they study will all be imbued with that distinctive SOAS dimension, that stresses critical engagement and understanding of the role of law in the world at large. In an increasingly globalised and interconnected world, the SOAS law degree truly responds to the needs of a new generation of law students.
The degree provides students with a wide range of analytical and transferable skills and is suitable for any profession in which a non-specialised degree is required. The degree structure provides students with a qualifying law degree for the purposes of both the Solicitors Regulation Authority and Bar Standards Board and exempts students from academic stage of legal training.
Please visit our International Students pages for details of our individual country requirements.
- From LLB at SOAS to Vice President of legal tech firm
- COVID-19: Its impact on the regulation of Multinational Enterprises
Programme Code: M102
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings
Start of programme: September
Mode of Attendance: Full-time
- Senior Status LLB will be restricted to non-law graduates holding an undergraduate degree from a recognised institution. The standard requirements are UK upper second class honours degree or a US degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3. We also welcome applications from other countries whose degrees are equivalent to this level.
Dr Jonathan Ercanbrack Convenor