The Meaning of Metrics (Open Academy Workshop Series)
Date: 9 March 2018Time: 11:00 AM
Finishes: 9 March 2018Time: 1:00 PM
Venue: Russell Square: College Buildings Room: Library Room E17
Type of Event: Training
This session will give you the tools to understand metrics relating to research and how to track the metrics of the work you share. In this session we will introduce the basics of established bibliometrics and newer developments such as altmetrics:
- what are the current key debates about the use of metrics for research?
- impact factors, h-index, citation scores - what are they all about, where do you find them and why do they matter?
- ‘Altmetrics’ for tracking your research more widely than in academic research. How to find them and how this can help you assess who is talking about your research and where and
- how can you use this information to start to demonstrate impact.
- the importance of assessing what metrics can tell us but more importantly what they don’t tell us.
Organiser: SOAS Library
Contact email: email@example.com
Contact Tel: 02078984179