The Library is committed to ensuring that all students can make full use of our services and facilities. We are wheel-chair accessible and offer as much help and support as possible to any user who has a disability or specific learning difference.
For students who register with the Library as a student with a disability or specific learning difference, we provide:
- Extended loan periods. You are able to borrow items for double the normal loan period (e.g. 2 weeks for one week loans)
- Photocopying. Your contact can undertake photocopying on your behalf, provided you give two working days notice. Photocopying charges will be added to your library record. In addition, alternative paper for visual enhancement is available near copier/printers in the Library
- Fetching service. Your contact will fetch material from the shelves for you. Please provide one working day notice
- Scanning Service. We provide a scanning service for visually impaired students. and other students who are not able to access print. Please see the Scanning Service page for more information. In addition, walk-up scanning machines are located around SOAS.
- Access to Quiet Rooms. You can access D15 in the Library or 482 in the main building for quiet study. You can also use the Creative Learning Lab, a group study space located in E20 in the Library.The rooms are equipped the assistive technology listed below
- Inclusive Technology Drop in. Runs weekly during term time only Wednesdays 2pm-5pm E20 Library (Creative Learning Lab). With Assistive Technology Trainer Nicholas Christodoulou.
- Mind-mapping software on all student machines, including the quiet study rooms
- Text enhancing software on all student machines, including the quiet study rooms
- Voice activated software (in D15 and 482 only)
- See also the List of Specialist Student Software and Locations around SOAS
- File conversion using SensusAccess
- SOAS Instructions for Scanning (pdf; 205kb)
We can advise on:
- Access to and within the Library
- Appropriate contact persons
- Where to obtain further assistance
It helps us to provide a better service for you if you are able to contact us in advance about any special requirements. Please note that all discussion with the Library will remain completely confidential.
Customer Services Team Leader
Tel: 020 7898 4796
For SOAS staff and students initial referrals, advice and assessments can be made by contacting: