Information for SOAS staff and students
Resources which are not held by SOAS Library and partner institutions will be acquired for our students and staff, if they meet the agreed criteria. These resources must be for research or study at the SOAS. The CLA Licence guidelines on copyright and fair use policy apply to all items sourced via Inter-Library Loans.
SOAS Library reserves the right to make appropriate checks to confirm that all requests are compliant.
Important information you should know about ILL
**ILL users are charged £3.00 per satisfied request
- Before making a request please ensure that the resource is not held by SOAS Library (online, card catalogue, etc.) Or available for consultation in nearby libraries e.g. Senate House Libraries, UCL (including IoE and SSEES), Birkbeck, LSE, King’s College, The British Library St Pancras Reading Rooms, and The Wellcome Institute Library.
- Do check major UK and Irish library catalogues: Library Hub Discover and SUNCAT
- It may take up to two weeks to receive materials from UK libraries and longer if material is sourced from overseas libraries.
- Books received on ILL should be consulted in SOAS Library, or in the Special Collections Reading Room and may not be borrowed for home reading. This is a requirement of lending institutions. There may be additional access conditions imposed on ILL resources by our partner libraries.
- A maximum of 5 new requests can be submitted at any one time.
- UK Copyright guidelines state that you may receive copies of one chapter or 10% of a book, whichever is greater; one article from an issue of a journal.
Further information on Copyright compliance is available at Library Copyright Guidance.
- Self-Service copying of some items received on Inter-Library Loan may be permitted providing copying complies with CLA Copyright guidelines and that there are no copying restrictions imposed by the lending library.
- Email your request to: firstname.lastname@example.org Do provide as much information as possible about the material you are requesting. Library staff can help if you need further clarification.
***Fees for requests from the British Library Document Supply Centre are waived for SOAS staff and SOAS postgraduate (taught and research) students ***