Language Documentation and Linguistic Theory 6
THIS EVENT IS ARCHIVED
Date: 16 December 2021Time: 9:00 AM
Finishes: 18 December 2021Time: 5:00 PM
Venue: Room: Online and SOAS Campus (TBC)
Type of Event: Conference
Karolina Grzech (see abtract), University of Valencia and University of Stockholm
LDLT6 aims to bring together researchers working on linguistic theory and language documentation, description, preservation and reclamation, with a particular focus on innovative work on minority, under-described or endangered languages.
Call for Papers
We invite contributions relating to any aspect of the study of language and linguistics from any perspective, including:
- formal and functional theoretical approaches
- linguistic typology
- documentary linguistics and responses to language endangerment
- new techniques and opportunities for documenting, describing, maintaining and reclaiming languages
We especially welcome contributions that use empirical data to examine the relationship between language documentation and description and linguistic theory.
Postgraduate students and early career researchers
A special session during the main conference will be dedicated to papers submitted by MA students, PhD candidates and postdoctoral researchers.
Presentations and Abstracts
Presentations will be 20 minutes followed by 10 minutes of discussion.
Each individual may present up to one single-authored paper and one joint paper throughout the whole conference (main conference and pre-conference workshops). The deadline for submission is at midnight (GMT) on Tuesday 26th October 2021.
The text of the abstract should be anonymous, a minimum of 11 pt font and no more than one page in length, including references and examples. They should be in .pdf format and the file name should start with LDLT6, followed by an underscore and then first authors’ surname, e.g. LDLT6_ashmore.pdf. If you have a common surname, please include initials, e.g. LDLT6_jjones.pdf.
Abstracts should be submitted using the LDLT6 Easychair site. Please specify if you would like your abstract to be considered for the main conference or for one of the pre-conference workshops.
Notifications of acceptance will be sent in early November, when we will ask presenters to return to us either a pre-recorded version of their contribution, which we will play at the established time, or the slides with no voice-over if they prefer to talk live. In either case, the discussion will take place live, online platform TBC.
In addition to the main programme, there will be two parallel pre-conference workshops on Thursday 16 December:
Interaction and socialising
While all formal interaction (presentations, questions and comments, round tables etc.) will be online (platform TBC), joint viewing facilities will be available at SOAS, University of London, and a small reception followed by dinner will be organized on 18th December for those participants who are based or staying locally at the time of the conference, provided that the social distancing rules are relaxed enough by then.
Selected papers from the main conference and workshops will be published in a special edition of Language Documentation and Description.
Online registration is available via the SOAS Online Store. Payment must be made online as part of the registration process, except for the dinner fee, which can be paid in cash at SOAS by noon on 18th December
Registration fees are:
- All participants: £30 (concession £15 for students and
- On-site participants, SOAS reception: an additional £20
- Conference dinner: an additional £20 (concession £10)
Registered participants are entitled to attend both days (Fri 17th and Sat 18th December) of the main conference and any of the pre-conference workshops on Thursday 16th December. In order to attend any part of the conference or pre-conference workshops, either online or on-site, the corresponding attendance fees must be paid in full by the registration deadline, except for the conference dinner contribution.
To comply with the hybrid character of this event, there are three main types of tickets that can be purchased via the SOAS Online Store and a special Dinner Only Ticket, which can be purchased either via the SOAS Online Store or in cash at SOAS.
- TICKET 1 Conference only - Online only version (can only be paid online, via SOAS Store, by the registration deadline). Standard ticket price £30 (concession £15 for students and unemployed).
- TICKET 1 Conference only - On Campus version (can only be paid online, via SOAS Store, by the registration deadline): Standard ticket price £30 (concession £15 for students and unemployed).
- TICKET 2 Conference and Reception - On Campus only (can only be paid online, via SOAS Store, by the registration deadline): Standard ticket price £50 (concession £25 for students and unemployed).
- TICKET 3 Conference, Reception and Dinner - On Campus (can only be paid online, via SOAS Store, by the registration deadline): Standard ticket price £70 (concession £35).
- SPECIAL TICKET Dinner only (can be paid online, via SOAS Store, by the registration deadline OR in cash at SOAS): Standard ticket price £20 (concession £10).
o Participants (including presenters) who only attend online must purchase Ticket 1 Conference only - Online only version;
o Participants (including presenters) who wish to attend at SOAS, but are not able to stay for the end-of-conference reception and to make it to dinner later that evening must purchase Ticket 1 Conference only - Campus version;
o Participants (including presenters) who attend on-site and are able to stay for the end-of-conference reception, but do not attend dinner, must purchase Ticket 2 Conference and Reception - On Campus only;
o Participants (including presenters) who attend on-site, are able to stay for the end-of-conference reception, and can make it to dinner later that evening must purchase Ticket 3 Conference, Reception and Dinner - On Campus (dinner will be at a restaurant nearby, TBC).
o Participants (including presenters) who attend on-site, are able to stay for the end-of-conference reception, but are not sure they can make it to dinner later that evening can initially purchase Ticket 2 Conference and Reception and then, if they decide to attend dinner, can purchase the Special Ticket Dinner only.
- Deadline for abstract submission: Tuesday 26th October 2021
- Notification of acceptance for presenters: early November
- Registration ends: Thursday 16th December (Note: only online registration is possible for online and on-site participation and SOAS reception. The conference dinner contribution can be paid at SOAS by 12pm on Saturday 18th December).
- Pre-conference sessions: Thursday 16th December
- Main conference session: Friday 17th and Saturday 18th December
The local organising committee consists of:
- Aicha Belkadi
- James Engels
- Maria Flouraki
- Yan Jiang
- Joey Lovestrand
- Lutz Marten
- Sarah Round
- Emma Ramsey
- Julia Sallabank
- Rados Voica
- Justin Watkins
All enquiries should be directed to email@example.com