- Religious Claims and Nationalism in "Secular" Zionism: Obscuring Settler Colonialism
Professor Nadim Rouhana (Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University)
In this presentation Prof. Rouhana will examine how nationalism, religious claims, and settler colonialism enmesh within Zionism and demonstrate how their interaction played a major role for Israeli academia and politics in sidelining or obfuscating settler colonialism as an appropriate frame of analysis for Zionism’s encounter with the Palestinians.
- Nefertiti’s Daughters: Women, Art and Revolution
Nefertiti’s Daughters is a story of women, art, and revolution. Told by prominent Egyptian artists, this documentary witnesses the critical role revolutionary street art played during the Egyptian uprisings.
- A Map of Absence: Palestinian Writings on the Nakba
Dr Atef Alshaer (University of Westminster) and Ghada Karmi (University of Exeter)
A Map of Absence presents the finest poetry and prose by Palestinian writers over the last seventy years. Featuring writers in the diaspora and those living under occupation, these striking entries pay testament to one of the most pivotal events in modern history – the 1948 Nakba.
- Islamist Occidentalism: Sayyid Quṭb and the Western Other
Nadia Duvall (author)
This book focuses on illuminating modern-day Islamist Occidentalism and puts in question the underlying assumptions of some of the post-9-11 scholarship which fails to understand the non-West on its own terms.
- Re-thinking religious politics in Turkey: The ulema and the Islamist
Dr Ceren Lord (British Academy Postdoctoral Research Fellow, St Antony’s College & Oxford School of Global and Area Studies)
- 1871 Survey of Western Palestine Revisited: The Visible and The Hidden
Salman Abu Sitta (Founder and President of Palestine Land Society)
The Survey of Western Palestine (SWP), conducted between 1871 and 1878 and first published in 1880, was considered the first scientifically based comprehensive survey of Palestine and it was unequalled for its time.
- Expansion of the Zionist Project and Shrinkage of the Palestinian Liberation Project - CPS Annual Lecture
Centre for Palestine Studies, SOAS - Annual Lecture
- The Lion and the Nightingale: Representations of ‘New Turkey’
Kaya Genç (Novelist and essayist, Istanbul)
- Book Launch: Political Economies of the Middle East and North Africa
Dr Robert Springborg
This book focuses on national and regional politics in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) to explain why economies there are underperforming. Variations in performance are traced to historically rooted capacities of states.